Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hull # 415

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 07:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Hull # 415
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012 13:45 
Rail Meat

My name is Mike, and my wife Valerie and I have been looking at T37's off and on since 2004. I followed Windchime's travels, and Charl's solo circumnavigation. Anyhow, yesterday we went and looked at hull #415, currently listed on Yachtworld for ~ $43K.

The good:

- The hull, deck, and rigging look to be in good shape. No craze lines to be seen in the deck anywhere.
- Price includes dry storage at the yard and spring launch.

The bad:

- Was re-powered with a Volvo-Penta Saildrive. Something must be off with the installation because there are a couple of pieces of aluminum added to the trailing edge of the rudder, and they are bent slightly to starboard. Can only guess the engine must have been pushing the boat to port with a neutral rudder and this is for compensation?
- The sole is rotted out at the entrance to the V-berth area. I am told that the mast step is solid.
- The electrical system is a mess. A lot of the wiring appears to be under-sized, nothing is labelled, and there are multiple bus bars every where.
- Mold/mildew on the headliner (not a real big deal).
- All of the port lights have been replaced with SS, but several can not be opened because the dogs hit interference. (Can't open the one in the head, not good!).
- The fiberglass shields (?) in front of the rudder are missing on the starboard side.
- Battery charger currently is not working

Despite this, we are seriously considering purchasing the boat, parking it on poppets next to the house for a couple of years, and doing a Kimberlite type restoration.

Anything else we should look at? Common problems, etc?

Did Eric happen to put up a website chronicling his restoration?

Thanks,

Mike

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hull # 415
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012 16:03 
Skipper

Hi Mike and welcome. I'm curious as to why you don't buy the cheapest T-37 on the market if you're going to go all Eric on it. I think the only parts he didn't throw away were the hull and the spars. Personally I would be leary of that saildrive setup. That seems to be quite a bit of engineering that apparently missed the mark to some extent. It seems to me that some early T-3700s had issues with a pull to one side under power with a saildrive. I think the rudder was re-engineered for that model IIRC. Just seems like an unnecessary head ache to me.

I don't think Eric has a site up relating to all the work he didn on Kimberlite. There was some hit a miss stuff at one time but I don't know where it went. you could probably email him if you have specific questions.

In any case good luck with your project and keep us informed as to your progress.

Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2012 18:11 
Rail Meat

Jim,

This one is within an hour of me, and can probably be had for significantly less than the asking price due to the rot in the sole and the electrical nightmare that awaits any new owner.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012 08:00 
Midshipman

Mike;

Take careful note of the decks; in particular under the genoa tracks to port and starboard. We had a water intrusion issue on our T37 that we purchased last year and work to repair it is significant. We decided to have a yard do the work and haven't seen the final bill but it's going to have an extra zero that I was hoping wouldn't be there.

You're looking at a lot of work on that boat. Make sure your offer reflects that. One of the members here is selling a restored T37 for 50k I think. You will easily get up to that $$$ figure unless you buy this boat a LOT cheaper than the asking price.

Tom, T37 #427

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2012 07:33 
Rail Meat

Hi Mike, My name is Mark and I am looking at the same boat at this time. I am aware of all the issues you pointed out and a few more. I am curious what was you deciding factor in not going forward with the transaction ?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2012 13:23 
Skipper

Unless geography is an issue, there are others on the market within a few grand in price that sound less "custom". A couple are listed right here.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email