Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hello From Velera

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 19 Apr 2024 04:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Hello From Velera
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006 09:57 
Skipper

Hello from #373 Velera. She is a deep keeled T37 that I have owned for 15 years. I have renovated most of the systems at least once in that time. I am currently in Bocas del Toro, Panama (Caribbean side) in the middle of a trip from San Francisco to Maine. If you are interested, my website www.caltomaine.com will provide a log and a lot of pictures from the trip so far. There is also a section on how the boat is outfitted for the trip.

I will be cruising the San Blas Islands for a month or so and then turning my heading North with the idea of getting to Florida in early April and continuing up the East Coast--getting to Maine in late May or early June. I could use suggestions for folks on East Coast stops and routes. Not sure at this point how my 6' 7" draft is going to limit me.

The T37 has been a great sea boat for the trip so far. I am basically a retired guy who is single handing, but I have had help with some of the longer passages.

Ray Durkee

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hello From Velera
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006 11:44 
Skipper

Welcome to the forum. Love your Panama pics.

So how do you stay connected out there? Are you only connected in port or all the time? It's nifty to have a forum member who's in transit. Perhaps this forum could be a source of crew for future legs (he says checking his calendar) Cool

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hello From Velera
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2006 13:08 
Skipper

I stay connected on my trip primarily through email and through Skype. I have a Globalstar satellite phone that has been worthless (do not get me started on that company--they over state their service area substantially outside the US). I also have a Skymate satellite email on the boat which has worked OK when offshore. I have seldom been at sea for more than 3 days at a time (with a few exceptions this is a coastal trip) and in every port there has been an internet cafe--sometimes in a thatched hut, but it is always there. In the larger towns, someone almost always has a wireless signal and so, poof, you can call to the US on Skype through your computer for about 2 cents a minute. I have SSB for reception only so I can get weather. I also can get complete weather through Skymate.

If any Tartan owners would like to do some legs, please sign up. I could really use some help on some of the legs--particularly from San Blas to Providencia (or St Andres) Island and from there to Roatan, and from Roatan to Cozumel and Cozumel to Key West. Problem is that I do not have my schedule precisely laid out and I want to be able to pick my weather--so this is a hardship for folks who have jobs and tight schedules. If interested, I put a place to sign up on my website www.caltomaine.com. These legs will most likely be in March and April.

Profile Email