Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Soon-to-be Tartan 37 owner, assuming all goes as planned.

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 10:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Soon-to-be Tartan 37 owner, assuming all goes as planned.
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012 12:57 
Able Bodied Seaman

Well, I guess as of this moment, I am the newest member of the association. My home port is Muskegon, MI and I grew up sailing from about the age of 10. I am now 56 and looking at 3 different T37s around the area, and that`s why I`m here. I`m searching for advice in several categories, starting with the Westerbeke. Interestingly, the 3 boats all have the 3 different Westerbekes. Making headway into the Lake Michigan chop can be grueling and I would like to have what it will take down below. All opinions welcome.....

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Soon-to-be Tartan 37 owner, assuming all goes as planned
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012 14:14 
Skipper

Welcome to the site. The T-37 drives pretty easily through the water. My boat had a W-50 when I bought her and we repowered with Beta 38 a few years ago so we went from 42 hp to 38 hp. Both engines have ample power. The W-50 is probably a little more than you needed even. In my experience the rougher the water the slower I want to go anyway. No sense in beating up the boat and gear. Someone with the smallest engine might chime in (W-33??). Most seem to have the W-40 or W-50 which are ample.
Good luck with your purchase.
Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012 15:22 
Midshipman

I have the W-33 and am more than happy with it; beware this model needed the pistons replaced so make sure that has been done.

I fight some horrific currents here in NH (the mighty Piscataqua river) and she holds her own. On a calm, flat day I can do over 7kts. I haven't had the boat long enough to have powered through steep chop so don't have data there but I think she'll be okay

Tom
1983 T37 keel/cb #427

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012 18:26 
Skipper

I have the W40 and I "think" there are less issues on these than the W50, at least according to the amount of traffic on this site, course maybe there are more W50's around. The W40 is based on the Perkins 4-107 or 4-108 (I can never remember which)

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012 18:46 
Skipper

Welcome to the group and Good luck. I used to spend a lot of time watching boats in the Muskegon river channel for many years and wondering if I would ever own one--I grew up in Fremont North east of there and drove to the water at every chance I got to watch the boats. Had my Tartan for a decade in California and sailed it to Maine with the old W-50 (min had 3500 hours when I left and 4500 hours two years later when I got there. Engine never really missed a beat. If you are concerned about punching through, I think all these engines will do that--the prop pitch is an important issue for getting the torque properly matched to your boat and engine and my stock two blade prop was grossly over pitched (David Gerr's Propeller Handbook is a great source on this). You will want to go through the engine thoroughly once you buy one and make sure that the heat exchanger is clear (I would take it to an old fashioned radiator shop and have it done) the oil cooler is clear (same thing) and that your exhaust elbow is clean---it is a pain but will pay off in the long run. That done, oil changes and clean fuel and you should be good to go. By the way, some of the old boats had a screen on the pickup tube in the diesel tank which was not needed and could cause problems as it trapped gunk that would be caught and removed by your Racor filter. I would suggest removing the screen. Do all this and if the thing starts OK, you are good to go. You will find a lot of help here from folks who have had most everything apart at some point. My Westerbeke would still be running if I had not left it in the rain forest for 8 months without running it--had a ring seize. Even after that, the engine got me home.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012 19:19 
Able Bodied Seaman

Wow, all of these responses are very good and ease my mind over worrying about sufficient power. I think I already read, on this site, about the pistons on the 33. If this has not been done, what would be a fair estimate for the work? That will certainly help determine my offer. Also, I`m gonna put my ignorance right out there and say I know almost nothing regarding diesel engines. This will be an adventure, I`m sure. What`s a good reference book to learn from?

Thanks guys!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012 19:57 
Skipper

A reference book I like and use often is 'Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintence Manual 'I'd by Don Casey. The first section of the book covers all aspects of sailboat maintence and repair. Many of the illustrations are of a Tartan 37. The last section of the book covers, in detail, the diesel engine. Great reference book.

Jim

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2012 15:00 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thanks, Jim. I`m all over that one.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012 11:26 
Skipper

Casey's books are a great overview and probably a good place to start. I have found that Nigel Calder's book "The Complete Boatowners' Guide to Mechanical and Electrical Repairs" is the best reference to maintaining a sailboat's systems I have found and I have kept one on board for many years and referred to in regularly. I also found that if you have any work done by others, it is very valuable to be there with them when they take things apart initially and ask them to show you what they are doing. There are skills and tricks that are just not in any book. You might look around for a class in diesel mechanics at your local community college or just hire a mechanic for a few hours to teach you on your engine---I took such a course 20 years ago and it has paid for itself many times over. Whatever boat you get, I suggest you inspect the cooling and exhaust system before you do much cruising. These are vulnerabilities on most older boats and can save you some enormous costs and frustrations later.

Ray

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2012 14:21 
Skipper

I'll second Ray's recommendation. Casey's book(s) are great for the basics. Move on to Calder's books for your graduate degree. I use both sources regularly.

Jim

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email