Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Soon to be new owner of Scheel Keel T37

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 08:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Re: Soon to be new owner of Scheel Keel T37
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2011 10:29 
Rail Meat

Tom,
Thanks for taking the time to go over both boats for me. The Tartan is definately sexier and does call to me-the bimini/dodger reminds me of a BMW Z3 m coupe version seen from the back/side view.
Tartan has greater resale, better winches and a rope clutch. Instruments on both boats are old, so that doesn't count.
No teak toe rails to take care of
company is still in business.

Needs a bottom job, 110v wiring and lights, inverter, solar, dinghy and motor, solar panels, batteries.

I guess my biggest dilemma is that with the Gulfstar I could take off and go to the Bahamas in a few months after learning the boat and before going back to Colorado in the spring.

The Tartan is going to take quite a bit of money right away to bring her up to snuff to go to the Bahamas, but does hold more fuel which I definately like. Is this supposed to be so stressful? Damn! Emotionally, the Tartan, but equipment wise the Gulfstar hands down.

I think I will go and see the Tartan tomorrow and go for that test sail/shakedown ride with the broker and take another look at the boat.

Thanks for your help,
Joe

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2011 20:16 
Midshipman

Is that the one with the aluminum toerail.........damn, I love that feature. I had considered this boat in my yearnings but ended up buying one much closer albeit a bit older.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011 08:27 
Rail Meat

Yes, this boat has the aluminum toe rail and from what I gather it was a factory ordered option on this particular boat. After all of my pondering today is my second viewing and some motoring time to make sure the boat is up for the 3-4 hours of motoring to the haul out yard at Port Charlotte Boat Storage. The boat has been dockside for a year but the engine is started every few weeks and everything looks pretty clean.

I think I have chosen the Tartan over the Gulfstar, but will get a better feel today and survey and sea trial on Friday. I am all set to have her hauled and paint the bottom myself at the yard, sand and refinish the topsides teak and sand and paint the rub rail. I also understand I should replace the zincs at this time-any other goodies or maintenance I should be performing while she is out of the water?

I have been a landlocked mountian man from Breckenridge, Colorado for the past 18 years and can't wait to be onboard for the next 4 months!

Thanks,
Joe

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011 17:21 
Skipper

Hi Joe, good choice and good luck. While out of the water make sure all thru-hull valves function OK, regards Bruce.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011 08:53 
Skipper

Joe, if you buy her give us some close up pics of the ratlines, great idea!

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011 16:38 
Skipper

Joe while you're out of the water change the prop and shaft zincs, the heat exchanger and oil cooler zincs on the engine and repack the stuffing box. Replace any through hull ball valves that are stuck or stiff and inspect the through hulls for corrosion. Check the rudder for water intrusion also.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2011 05:27 
Rail Meat

Holey Schnikey, I took the plunge and am a proud new T37 owner...Permision to hurl over the lifelines, please...I am happy, but also scared $#$%less about the list of "To Do's." The survey went well, but lots of minors add up, but I have been internet shopping for two years, so it's time to walk the walk.

She sails like a dream -we motored for about three hours total and got to sail for about 3/4 hour and it was nice to cut the enginge and sail. Very responsive to the helm and I can't wait to get the list done and get her splashed again.

Thanks to all for your advice, I am sure I will be needing much more over the next several weeks as I dig into the list.

Joe

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011 14:41 
Skipper

Silly new owner... the to do list never gets "done". It just waxes and wanes.

Congrats! Someday you'll be on a close reach and fly by a Gulfstar and you'll be very proud of your Tartan.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email