Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Soon to be new owner of Scheel Keel T37

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 10:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Soon to be new owner of Scheel Keel T37
PostPosted: 08 Dec 2011 15:07 
Rail Meat

HI All,
My name is Joe and I have an accepted offer and contract on Ciao, a 1987 T37 with the scheel keel option located in Punta Gorda. I'm getting a litte worried about the majority of the boats being CB versions-can anyone pipe in and reassure me I am not making a terrible mistake??? The boat is lightly equipped with high (4300) engine hours and I am heading out for the sea trial and survey on the 17th of December. After exhaustive research I am happy to have chosen the Tartan 37, but what about the resale of this boat? I don't want to do all of the updating and additions and lose my shirt...

She seems to be in good shape, needs cosmetic work on the teak and rub rail, a bottom job, but otherwise appears well found but basic. The price is $45k, so I like that part and figure the Westerbeke can be refreshed or rebuilt when it becomes necessary, electronics are the originals mounted portside of the companionway, no radar, arch, dinghy, motor or other goodies. This will be my first sailboat, so I actually like the basic-ness to some degree so I can learn as I go about adding systems and installing new batteries, chargers, etc. I plan to sail around Florida to get my feet wet and learn the boat and gain experience.

Thanks in advance for your advice,
Joe

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Soon to be new owner of Scheel Keel T37
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2011 11:33 
Skipper

Congratulations Joe and welcome aboard! I think you will be very pleased with your "new" boat. Looks like you got her for a good price so you have room for refurbishing and upgrades. Being starkley outfittd will give you the opportunity to install new components as opposed to stuff someone else has worn out. You will probably want to make sure all deck penetrations are sealed well as well as sealing the deck core in these areas. And I would recommend removing and inspecting the chainplates for creavice corrosion. Most of your projects will just involve getting familiar with your boat and there is plenty of advice and experience on this forum. I don't think there are many projects that someone hasn't tackled at some time in the past. Tartan Yachts carries many of the parts needed to refurbish their "Classic" line of boats. Good luck with your purchase and keep us posted about your projects and sailing experiences.

-Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2011 12:21 
Skipper

Joe,
I don't think you'll be dissapointed with the Scheel keel version. From my understanding, they are a nice compromise between the other two keels available (C/B and deep). I do not know how many of these Tartan made, but I do know they used the Scheel keel on many other models after the T-37. If I am not mistaken, they stopped using the "Scheel" keel because of property rights and Tim Jacket developed his own version thereby eliminating paying unnecessary fees. Again, I could be mistaken about this but this is what I have heard.

45K for a 1987 is a very good price as long as she is in decent condition. Congrats.
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011 06:44 
Rail Meat

Thanks for the responses. I am going through buyers remorse and have started to price out everything I will need and it is scary expensive...I drove across to the East Coast yesterday to look at a Gulfstar 37 that is highly outfitted with a Monitor wind vane, dinghy and outboard, liferaft, twin solar panels, chargers, wind generator, grill,etc. for approximately the same price. Oh yeah, and the engine has a fresh overhaul and the owner gives the boat a lot of love systems wise. I like the looks of the Tartan, but the expensive goodies on the Gulfstar are very tempting.

Any thoughts? Would I be smarter buying the Tartan and investing $25k in all those goodies and having to face an engine rebuild in the next few years?

Help!

Thanks,
Joe

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011 09:50 
Skipper

Joe it's pretty hard to look at a boat as an investment. Our boat had a lot of new, disirable goodies on board when we bought her. Still we've added, refurbished and upgraded for the past 8 years. We did the same thing with our T-30 and after 7 years of ownership we sold her for what we paid in the first place (not counting the upgrades) and we paid top dollar for the original purchase. Point being that she held her value pretty well unlike the Catalinas we looked at which are also good boats but you get the idea. So to minimize the damage the Tartan is a better deal in the long run. At your starting point you can do quite a bit before being under water (sorry couldn't resist). Chuckle Also to minimize the pain you can perform the upgrades gradually as the need arises. Plus you get such a great boat with the Tartan. You,ll lose the buyer's remorse when you sail her.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011 10:22 
Skipper

Seems to me that the defining difference between the Tartan and the Gulfstar is the sailing quality: the former is certainly the more competent. It's true that they both float, but the abilities of the two boats to beat to weather or to perform well in light airs are worlds apart.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011 11:29 
Skipper

Joe,
I have a friend with a Gulfstar 37 and he is quite fond of his boat, but it is not the performer that the Tartan is. It has good accomodations and perhaps a better layout although I personally do not like the cabinetry in the Gulfstar as much as the Tartan.
What year is the G.S.? Pre-1980 boats were not as well constructed as post 1980....see this excellent write up:

http://www.jordanyachts.com/archives/2645

With the Gulfstar 37, I notice that there is a low spot around and outboard of the cockpit where water pools. I am not sure if this is indicative of the model or just the one I have observed.
As far as value is concerned, the GUulfstars tend to sell at a lower price range over all of their models compared to the Tartans, but maybe this is due to their poor early models influencing the sell prices of all of their boats including the better quality late boats.

Good luck with your decision!
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011 15:10 
Grinder

My only comment is that a bargain is not always the bargain you thought it would be. You really want a boat someone has been in LOVE with and spared no expense. They are out there, but you have to look and wait for the right one for you. If you do the math, you may find a similarly outfitted boat (tartan of course) will be a better value than the refitted bargain.

Mark

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011 20:33 
Rail Meat

Thanks guys for the responses and it's good to see that the forum has active members. I spent some time on the Gulfstar last night at night to see how the lighting was and again several hours this morning really looking her over without the broker there. Didn't find much not to like other than not much in the way of a pantry for food storage.
The boat stayed very dry even though we had torrential rains in Stuart-one of the opening portlights was leaking, that's all.

Regarding the T37 Scheel Keel-is it worth less than the cb versions?
How is the shower in the head?
Would 4300 engine hours scare you guys away from buying it? How much do I need to roughly figure for a refresh or rebuild on the Westerbeke?
Ciao is very basic, and I mean basic-no dinghy, no outboard, no solar, no inverter, no wind generator, no ac, no life raft, no monitor windvane-all of which the Gulfstar has. I mean, crap-ac sure would be nice if I am at the dock and want to leave my two Yorkies inside while going out to dinner or something. I can't see myself ever spending $5k on ac, but nice that someone else did. Question is do I buy the high mileage stripped down Caddy or get the well optioned Buick that may be a little slower but will not require immediate cash infusions for battery power on the hook and also has a way to get from the hook to land right now.

Thanks again for your thoughts and I'm not a whining weanie I just don't want to make a mistake,
Joe

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2011 22:27 
Skipper

Joe,
After reviewing both boats on Yachtworld, I don't think there's that huge of difference between the two. The GS is older and may have a slight edge on equipment, but the Tartan isn't as stripped down as you may think. The Tartan has a very new, 2010, dodger/bimini, an electric windlass, refrigeration, sun covers for all exterior teak, a raymarine 4000 wheel pilot, a really good sail inventory(can't be stressed enough) and fundamentals for the nav instruments. The Tartan has a slight edge on water/fuel capacities and is 8 years younger.
On the plus side for the GS, she's got the edge on batteries, the wind genny(probably a very loud one judging by the 3-blade & diameter) she's got a better alternator setup and battery selection. She's got an older wheel pilot, a 3000 model with an external belt. She also has one HUGE plus for Florida.....A/C !!!! I am at this very time, installing central heat/AC in Tortuga's Lie and this is a big project, but I feel it's worth it judging by the last couple of summers here on the Chesapeake.
The Tartan should have more storage judging by the floor plan layout advertised on the GS, but I haven't explored the depths of one to know first hand. The GS listing does not mention sails...how are they?
I think it's going to come down to emotion....How do you feel about them? Does one call to you? I know this sounds corny, but you need to feel the pride of ownership and if you absolutely love your boat, you'll have no regrets......(hopefully).
By the way, a rule of thumb for diesel rebuilds is between 6000 &6500 hours........unless of course there is something going on with it.

Good luck,
tom

P.S.
it is kind of interesting that they both have 3-blade fixed props

Profile Email