Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Sailing Characteristics of T37 swing keel and deep keel

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 20 Apr 2024 02:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Sailing Characteristics of T37 swing keel and deep keel
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2011 11:55 
Rail Meat

Hello, I'm looking at a Tartan 38 (Deep keel version of T37) and would like to hear from owners who might know of the sailing differences between the more common swing keel version of the Tartan 37 and the deep fin keel version of the Tartan 37 which is called a Tartan 38 (it's even a Tartan 38 on the Tartan nameplate). I have read how well the swing keel version sails, and wonder (and hope) that the deep keel version sails as well, or better! Any information from any Tartan 38 owners would be appreciated. Thanks, Jon

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Sailing Characteristics of T37 swing keel and deep keel
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011 01:54 
Skipper

Hi DP,

I have Betty Lou, a deep fin T37 (you've seen my blog). I've never sailed on a centerboard T37, so I can't speak from experience about how the two designs compare. I've read that the fin keel points a bit better, but that otherwise they behave quite similarly. As to how my boat sails, I think she's a dream. We sail of the Washington coast in some pretty challenging conditions, and Betty Lou has always handled it like a champ. This August we spent two weeks at the mouth of the Columbia River, day sailing out of Ilwaco Washington. In a one-week period we crossed the Columbia Bar ten times. The bar can be one of the most treacherous in the world and has big seas and strong northwesterlies all summer long. We had Betty Lou out on several occasions on this last trip in 10 - 12 foot seas and 25 - 30 knot winds, and she went to weather like a race horse. We never felt overmatched by the conditions, although we backed off to a double reefed main and our working jib in the biggest winds. I have an Alpha Marine below deck autopilot, and we have sailed both upwind and down under pilot for hours at a time with never a problem, even on a deep broad reach and large following seas.

Our home base is about 60 miles up the Columbia, and sometimes I envy the shallow draft of a center boarder with the board up, but most of our cruising is and will be offshore and up north in BC and Alaska, and in the deep waters up there the deep fin really shines. The boat always feels well balanced and is never tender.

Tom Wells has sailed on both boats, and I bet he'll chime in here and give you his take. I'd just say that I don't think you'll regret your choice in going for the fin, unless you are going to be doing a lot of sailing on the east coast. I know all our Chesapeake brothers and sisters like the shallow draft of their centerboard boats.

BTW, I'd like to know when and why Tartan quit using the T-38 designation. Betty Lou's nameplate says T-37.

Anyway DP, if you get out Oregon way, give us a call and we'll go sailing. Betty Lou will have a full suite of brand new sails before Christmas and they'll need some breaking in (bring rain gear!).

Here's a pair of links to some videos from our recent trip. The 1st is inbound over the bar in about 20 knots and 4 foot seas on a beam reach. The second (vertical format video) in outbound going to weather in some nice 10 foot rollers in about 25 knots.

http://youtu.be/WhSxPvi7lN4

http://youtu.be/gZNhyfGQvXU

Later,

Jay

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

Post subject: Sailing Characteristics of Tartan 37s and Tartan 38s
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011 11:27 
Rail Meat

Jay,

Thanks for your reply and it sounds like Betty Lou is a fine boat. I watched both of your videos and she looks like a smooth sailor. I have gathered a little more information about the Tartan 37 and Tartan 38, though I am still hoping for some definitive answers. First of all, there is but one hull length. Secondly, whether designated a Tartan 37 or a Tartan 38, there was but one numbering sequence. Betty Lou is hull #118. Dragonfly is hull #88. Most of the series had the centerboard, some had the deep keel (Betty Lou), and some had a Scheel keel. These were all labeled as Tartan 37s. Along the way, some of the hulls were given the deep keel and a taller mast. These were designated Tartan 38s on their nameplate. There do not seem to be too many of these "racing" models out there, but I hope someone who has one will respond to my posts. If you can correct any of this information, please do.

Jon

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011 12:04 
Skipper

Jon,
I don't believe there is any correlation between hull #'s and keel configuration. I believe they just filled orders as they came in.
Not sure if you've seen this write up yet, but it is pretty succinct:
http://bluewaterboats.org/tartan-37/

Cheers,
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011 20:19 
Rail Meat

Tom,

Thank you for your post. It all adds to my knowledge of the Tartan 37 line. I think I'll post a message requesting information from any Tartan 38s.

Jon

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2011 23:37 
Skipper

See the post on your other thread... but I'll add that I've sailed the two head to head so my observations are probably fairly universal.

Only outlier is that ours is a furling main, so she'd probably do a bit better in light air without the loose foot. Oh and with the full fin, current matters much more. We once started a race with nearly zero wind. It took 20 minutes to cross the start line, then 10 minutes more and we backed over the start line again because a current pushed us back. The other vessels were impressed with our backward sailing technique.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email