Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Soon to be new owners of Tartan37

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 14:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Soon to be new owners of Tartan37
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2011 20:48 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hello
My wife and I have a signed contract to purchase a 1977 Tartan 37 (Eden)which is in the Virgin Islands. I am planning on heading to the islands mid October to inspect the boat, and do a haul-out and survey. We have had sailboats in the past and we are excited about the Tartan 37. I have been reading the posts about potential problems with a boat this old, but surprising there doesn't seem to be any inherent problems with these boats. We would like to hear from Tartan 37 owners or past owners who might suggest some things to inspect while we are doing the survey ( I'm thinking balsa core problems mostly).
We plan on being in the Virgin Islands for about 5 to 6 months each winter. In the summer we live in the San Juan Islands of Washington State.
Looking forward to being part of this good group.
Bill & Chris Carli
Friday Harbor
Water Island

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Soon to be new owners of Tartan37
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2011 06:24 
Skipper

Bill,
Congrats on finding (hopefully) a nice T-37!
Is the one you're looking at a centerboard model or deep keel?
The centerboard model will need to be looked at to make sure the hinge assembly is in good condition,(check the bolts) and that the pendent runs free, but most issues with the board are owner repairable and not too much to worry about.
The rudder may need attention as well if it hasn't been repaired yet. There's a good write up on this repair on the forum here. Again, this is an owner repairable operation if you're handy.
I wouldn't worry about the hull coring, I've never heard of a T-37 with this issue....of course it doesn't hurt to check. The deck coring needs to be checked, but any old boat could have issues there.
Chainplates may need to be pulled and inspected for crevice corrosion, but again this would be typical of any older boat.
This should be a nice choice for the PNW as long as you have a dodger and bimini with a full enclosure for the fall/sping sailing season.
Cheers,
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011 17:11 
Skipper

Hi Bill,
These are great old boats. We have Betty Lou (#118, circa 1979, deep fin) down in Portland. If you're down this way before your trip to the virgins, feel free to come by for a visit. Can't hurt to see a sister ship or two for comparisons sake. You didn't mention your purchase price, but for comparison, there is a boat here http://tinyurl.com/3qr6v46 that has just had a major refit listed at $74k. All the item Tom mentions are top of my list. Things that I have had to replace since buying Betty Lou from the original owner include:

new shaft (out of true and the end was rounded out at the prop end)
    cutlass bearing
    shaft coupling
    motor mounts
    120v wiring
    potable water lines

Lots of other upgrades, of course, but those above are things to watch for at survey time. I've also heard some mention some oil-canning of the port side hull at the chainplates, but we don't see any on our boat. Our purchase survey also found a few issues with the shrouds, and the PO replaced all prior to sale. We also had a separate engine survey.

Good luck with the purchase,

Jay

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2011 11:54 
Skipper

No body has mentioned the rudder pintle. Ours was nearly rotted away after 25 years in fresh water and 6 in salt water. Not a difficult repair and parts are available from Tartan Parts. The fuel tank is probably aluminum and warrants close inspection also although this is difficult unless someone has installed inspection ports at some point. I just found a cracked spreader so an examination up that way with a good pair of binoculars would be in order. A rig survey would be even better. Most of this stuff is not peculiar to the T-37 but to boats of this age.

Profile Email