Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Knowledge about a new boat

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 07:48

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Knowledge about a new boat
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011 23:57 
Rail Meat

I am thinking of buying a new ride, a boat i mean. Because we are planning to sail from California to Australia (just planning). But what do you think is the value of a good boat so it could sail through?

And anyway, has anyone here tried sailing that direction too? How did it go?
Thanks in advance you all!

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Knowledge about a new boat
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2011 07:22 
Skipper

Jennifer,
I'm not quite sure of your question. I am assuming that you are considering the T-37 as an option. Are you asking what would a decent price to buy the Tartan for this purpose? The boat is certainly capable of your trip, several have circumnavigated, but any that you buy will need a cash infusion for serious upgrading. I would say 30 to 50K will get you a good boat to start and add another 20K (?) for upgrades. There are a few on the Yachtworld listings that are around 70K which probably have many of the upgrades already completed.......Just make sure you hire a good surveyor who can examine the boat and give you an outline of upgrades required for your journey.

Best of luck,
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2011 12:47 
Skipper

I sailed mine from California to Maine with a fair number of multiple week long ocean passages and it is a very reliable sea boat. I would suggest when buying one that you look very very carefully at the condition and equipment if you plans such a trip as I agree with the previous post about the costs of upgrading on condition and equipment for an open ocean passage. I am thinking most folks look at the stock boat as generic and look for a low price range first and condition and equipment second---it it a mistake I made. It would be better to pay much more for a boat that has been well-maintained and has competently installed equipment. You might be able to install stuff yourself and perhaps do a competent job, but the discount on equipment reflected in used boat prices is so great that a cheap boat is rarely a bargain no matter how much you do yourself. I know this from experience.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011 13:10 
Rail Meat

Hello,

My wife and young son and I are also looking for a boat to do this voyage. To be honest, we've been looking at much heavier displacement boats of similar size, but we've recently started thinking about the Tartan as an alternative. I believe they would be faster than their full keel 20k+ lb. boats but my wife also likes the extra people room without sacrificing storage space. In Australia (where we live) there are very shallow river bars on the east coast... and the center board version has a lot of appeal.

We are aware of what is needed in a blue water boat, but I wanted to get some clarification about the upgrades mentioned above: are these upgrades known specifics to Tartans that circumnavigate (like know issues with chain plates that won't take the extra loads or something like that?) or was this just helpful info for someone doing initial research.

There is a specific T37 that we're looking at. The hull and interior appear in excellent shape. We would automatically do the following upgrades (due to their age on this boat):

new standing rigging
new running rigging
new sails
SSB
larger Auto pilot (the current ST400 seems a bit light for this boat)
water maker
new GPS plotter

The engine appears to be in good condition and with relatively low hours and the boat already has VHF, radar and standard data monitors (wind, depth, speed)

Any thoughts as to T37 specific upgrades that would be needed recommended before a large ocean crossing?

Regards,

Sequoia

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011 14:49 
Skipper

Hi,

You probably want to remove and check the conditions of the chainplates as you would with any boat you are taking off shore. Also the rudder pintles are known to be corroded to death on these boats after so many years in the water. That's not a big job to replace. See the tech info on this site for a run down on this. The center board should be removed and the pivot pin inspected and replaced if corroded. I would also replace the centerboard pendant, pendant through hull and the rubber hose that connects the through hull to the pendant guide tube at the base of the mast. Check the centerboard for leaks and make sure the pendant eye at the aft edge of the board is firmly attached. I would also open up the rudder and inspect the welds on the stainless steel stringers attached to the rudder post inside the rudder. These rudders can develop leaks and the water can rust the welds. Reseal the rudder at the rudder post and repair any leaks in the rudder itself. The travellers are old and parts are no longer available. Garhauer makes a nice replacement for a reasonable price. Find a way to seal off the dorade vents when in rough weather to prevent leaking into the interior. There are many more things you would want to check before going off shore as you know but these are the only model specific items I can think of at this time. Good luck with your boat search.

Jim

Profile Email