Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - osmotic blistering

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 15:36

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: osmotic blistering
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2011 17:25 
Rail Meat

Dear Crew:

We are looking at a '85 T37 and are wondering if that era's production had the osmotic blistering problem that virtually caused the Valiant 40's bankruptcy (although that worked out when the Texans bought the molds). I understand that the resins used were EPA approved but terrible for their application in yacht building. Any comments?

Lee Wilson

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: osmotic blistering
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2011 12:59 
Skipper

I've only seen one T-37 that had severe blistering. Some of the worst I've seen on a sailboat. It was in New York area but I think moved to Annapolis area. I was looking to buy it but was turned off by the blisters after flying all the way to Long Island from San Francisco. I thought it was bad Zen for a Cuising boat. That said I found some very tiny gelcoat blisters near the bow of my boat (1980) in an area about 2 square feet. I had the bottom stripped and barrier coated at that time. It doesn't seem to be a wide spread problem with Tartans and we've had no further indications of any blisters.

-Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2011 08:06 
Skipper

I fully stripped the bottom of my boat about 3 years ago (hull # 191, 1979). Had absolutely no indication of any blistering. To my knowledge, my boat has spent its life in New England. Just in case I did apply barrier coat.

Jim

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2011 08:00 
Skipper

Mine had several dozen jelly bean sized blisters just in the gel coat. I ground out, faired, and applied a barrier coat. My boat is a 1977 vintage and I completed the barier coat about 14 years ago and will most likely strip and apply a new barrier this fall. hope this helps.
Tom

Profile Email