Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hull # 287 was up for sale

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 20 Apr 2024 10:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Hull # 287 was up for sale
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2011 14:33 
Skipper

Provided we can settle a few minor details, Impetuous will soon change hands.

My wife Connie and I have been searching for larger sailboat since we spent a week on our 21' Lindsey. No headroom, no head, no galley made for an interesting week. But her 21" (yes, inch) draft got us into and out of places that a full keel wouldn't go. So that was one of our main points on a newer boat.

We wanted a shallow draft, older (thicker) boat and as long as possible. We briefly looked at the 34s but it felt too cramped for us so we ended up looking at the 37 and it's 4'2" draft. We've taken a sea trial on Impetuous and we are impressed with how she handles and points even boardless. Connie mentioned that it was very nice not to have a boat that wallowed in a following sea. We are excited to be stepping up and slightly daunted by the amount of work she needs to be back to factory new. But our first job is getting her ready for some open water as it's a ways from our slip to either Galveston or Matagorda Bays. And I've seen both bays when they were kicked up. Shocked

I can see that there's a lot of nice people and great information here so I'll soon be asking questions and offering advice where I can. I've already read a lot and had a bunch of my questions answered in detail. Thanks. Hope to meet some of you in an anchorage and we can Boat Drinks a few.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hull # 287 was up for sale
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2011 18:43 
Skipper

Congratulations!
Hope the deal goes through and you find yourself heeling at 15 degrees and a smile on your face Very Happy
Welcome to the forum.
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2011 09:10 
Skipper

Well, we got the quick haul yesterday. The zincs need replacement. One missing actually. Surveyor says the hull is sound. I didn't hear any problems. But I was flinching while he's beating the hull with a hammer. Earlier the surveyor got me good when he was checking the deck. I wasn't looking while he was sounding the deck and he tapped on the genoa sheet a couple of times. Every head in the cockpit swivelled onto him. The rudder seems to has delaminated above the pintle bearing on both sides. But the rest of it is solid. The pintle looks brand new. The centerboard is indeed a lot shorter than spec. Wink Although our 21 footer was a stub keel and I'm used to her sailing characteristics (sp), we are going to replace this centerboard because we want the better pointing later.

So no deal breakers found during the haul and we've accepted the vessel. And away we go.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2011 13:00 
Skipper

And if you replace the C/B you'll be able to back up reasonably straight also. Congratulations on your "new" boat and welcome to the Tartan clan.

-Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2011 17:59 
Rail Meat

I am a T37 owner at Porptoino Harbour, and thought I saw a T37, Grren trim, Impetuous passing by late yesterday afternoon? I have owned mine for 13 years, and will be begina major refitting this year. Send me your contact info

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2011 18:26 
Skipper

We passed by Portofino about mid-day on Saturday after getting diesel at Three Amigos. We were headed to Offatts Bayou for an overnight before continuing to Freeport Municipal Marina where we are going to keep her.

Yes, we have taken delivery of "Impetuous" as of Friday the 18th.

Saturday's trip to Galveston was nerve wracking with the fog on the bay. The fog lifted as we came onto the Texas City dike and dropped back down on us after passing the Galveston Causeway. We really needed that clear space where all the traffic was. Otherwise we were in waters too shallow for heavy traffic and nobody else was crazy enough or desperate enough to be out.

Sunday morning we left Offatt's Bayou in dense fog and followed our GPS track and depthfinder back to the ICW to head west again. Shortly after we entered the ICW, the fog started lifting and we could breath a sigh of relief. We got a chance to actually sail for a while and dry out the main and jenny before we hit the sections where the wind was on our nose. We made it after about 6 hours of motoring.

Just to be clear, if we hadn't had to go, we wouldn't have moved an inch. But the boat couldn't stay in Kemah any longer so fog or not we were going. UGH!!!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2011 18:35 
Rail Meat

Is that a boat that a guy named Eric used to own and kept over at Kemah HArbor, what was the old Lafayette Landing?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2011 21:18 
Skipper

No. Must have been another Tartan? Need to track him down.

Profile Email