Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - New Owner...Many Questions...

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 26 Apr 2024 18:46

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: New Owner...Many Questions...
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2011 18:47 
Midshipman

Hello everyone. My wife and I just bought Kiwi, number 225. She is our first sailboat, and we have a lot to learn. My wife wanted a solid older boat that we could make our own. I spotted Kiwi while I was deployed, and watched with great interest as the price finally dropped into our range. Now that we've bought her...the real spending can begin.

First, more about us and our sailing goals. We are not, I say again, NOT bluewater cruisers (yet?). I want to get my wife comfortable with local sailing before we contemplate any major trips. We sail out of Northwest Creek Marina in New Bern, NC. I have some dated sailing experience, but my wife does not. We are going to bring an ASA instructor onboard to teach us sailing on our own boat...and help us learn to crew together. We both work full time, so we are limited to weekending for now. My idea of a great day of sailing is getting somewhere whenever we get there. Which is to say that we have no interest in racing. Her idea of a great day of sailing is sailing for a little while, then relaxing on the bow. Did I mention that I also need to learn how to single hand ;-)

Am I in over my head? Absolutely. But we already bought the boat so please don't bother pointing out the obvious.

I would like to know if any of you have replaced your fresh water lines. What started as attempting to change the galley faucet revealed some rather nasty water lines. I don't think we'll ever drink the water from the tanks, but I'd rather know what I'm washing my hands with.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for the best place to get charts? The boat came with an older GPS, but nothing replaces a good paper chart.

I'm also interested in windlass recommendations. As of right now, I am the windlass. I can't promise that I'll always work...

Finally, if any of you sail out of New Bern and are looking for rail meat, let me know. I'm not afraid to learn under any means necessary.

Thanks,
Scott

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: New Owner...Many Questions...
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011 07:30 
Skipper

Welcome Scott,
Sounds like you're willing and able as well as eager to get going and learning all you can Very Happy
I think that you'll find Kiwi is a very easy and forgiving boat to sail, though probably a bit larger than most people's first boat....but I guess you know that:) On the bright side, you won't have the "3-footitis" for a while(if ever).
I replced my water lines last spring, I guess mine we're still the originals after 33 years.....gross. Anyway, my tanks were pretty clean, but the lines were not, so I replaced all with the same type of tubing thinking that if the old ones lasted that long ,the new ones should as well plus field repairs are as simple as it can get, not needing any specialized tools for crimping etc. which PEX requires. I relocated my water pump to under the galley sink for reasons of simplifying the runs, plus easy access to filters and such.
Start reading through the old posts here on the forums and you'll get some ideas for future project.
You're starting with a great boat Cheers
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011 17:29 
Skipper

Welcome and Congratulations Scott. First time I drove Ardea was the first time I had driven a boat that large. I had to single hand it from the travel lift to our slip. Trial by fire is the only way. Very Happy

If you don't already have them get West Marine and Defender catalogues. Even if you don't end up buying from them you can engineer your projects pretty well using their catalogues.

-Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011 15:04 
Skipper

Hi Scott, welcome to the Tartan 37!

Betty Lou (#118) was our second boat, after sailing a Catalina 27 for a few years. I'm sure you will love Kiwi, as these are easy boats to love. I replaced all my water lines, a pretty straightforward job. I added an accumulator (expansion tank) that helps to minimize pump cycling and water hammer to my system.

I also put an inline water filter in the galley cold water supply, and sanitize my system twice a year, so no problems with drinkability.

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2011 18:10 
Midshipman

Thanks for all the input! It has been a little too cold to do some of the work so far. Who would've figured that we'd have 5 inches of snow on the ground in coastal North Carolina. I think I have to replace the head and its through hull when I pull her for the bottom painting. I've apprenticed myself to the painter for this first time. I'm paying full price for the job, but I'll save money in the long run. My full time job is really putting a damper on what I really want to do with my time. But it also funds the repairs, so...

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011 01:17 
Rail Meat

We bought Solen 2 years ago, this summer we will hire an instructor for my wife and adult kids who will go out without me (I will find a local restaurant or bar and dream about my old boat which I still love).

It is imperative to establish competency and rank clearly. The one who can read charts best, the one who can see in the dark and so on .... you have to learn to yield and take charge equally well. If my back goes out my wife will have a lot to do, or if she gets anxious I will need to be patient and courteous. Role reversal will be needed at some point. Last summer I saw an experienced Pilot figure out how to steer in 5 minutes (impressive) but the year before I saw a girl friend of a teenage sailor (dock neighbor) do the same thing without any kind of experience or indication that she had such talents.

Enjoy and take time to discover what you are good at etc.....

On our boat I will be the one to go down and cook in a blow when I see that the crew needs to be fed to hang in there - even if I hate it.

Alex

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2011 07:44 
Midshipman

Hey Scott-

My wife and I have a contract on a T37, "Gambrinus" (we will change the name) which is docked in the horse shoe area at Northwest Creek. We hope to close in the next few weeks and would enjoy talking about the Tartans. We're going to live aboard so if you're at the dock a few weeks from now, please stop by!

Baxter.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011 12:57 
Skipper

Welcome Aboard Scott. Lots of good shared info in here for you to start customizing her. With commissioning season coming up for us Northerners, there should be plenty of folks around to answer your questions.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2011 17:48 
Rail Meat

Hi Scott,

We are one hull number behind you (#224) and we have owned HIGHER PORPOISE since 1997. We would not trade one minute of it. There are several other T37s in your area so I'm sure you'll develop some Tartan connections in New Bern.

I'll just echo what Jay said - these are easy boats to love. You'll find she's a joy to sail, and she'll teach you what she wants you to know to handle her!

Tom & Sandy Wells
#224 Higher Porpoise

Profile Email