Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Newbie

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 02:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Newbie
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2010 13:11 
Rail Meat

We are interested in learning about Tartan 37's. We have a T 30 and are interseted in getting a larger boat. Thought we'd drop in and check out your forum, and discover more about the T 37's, beore we look any further.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Newbie
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2010 09:49 
Skipper

Welcome Miranda!
My cousin has a T-30, 1976, with a side galley. Nice boat, very responsive.
I think that you'll find the T-37 is a great boat for the money and well pedigreed. What are your plans for a larger boat? The T-37 can fill most requirements and is well suited for week long (or longer) cruises. If extended cruising is in your plans, the T-37 will need some modifications, but certainly a great platform to start with. She's not going to win many races wire to wire, but she's no slug and if you like fingertip steering, it's hard not to like (love?) a T-37
Cheers

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Newbie
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2010 15:21 
Skipper

We had a 1977 T-30 before we got our 37. The T-30 is a great boat and a tough act to follow. Like you we wanted more room when we got the T-37. It took me 6 months to finally realize I could stand up straight inside the boat unlike the 30. The T-30 will probably out point the 37 especially if in light air but if you don't pinch the 37 will reward you with great sailing performance. The extra room below and on deck is great of course. And having a shower in the head is great.

There are more systems on the 37 to keep up with and all of them should be inspected, repaired, replaced or upgraded.

Things to think about in buying a T-37:

Rudder pintle, bushings and the steel web within the rudder should be inspected.
Deck core soft/wet spots.
All chain plates should be inspected.
Figure on replacing the fuel tank BEFORE it fails.
A repowered boat is good to look for as the Westerbekes are getting old and can nickel and dime you. Parts are expensive or unavailable for 30 year old Westerbekes.
Check operation/function of centerboard if so equipt. and inspect center board pendant through hull. Some boats were made with fixed keels.
You'll want an anchor windlass. The ground tackle is much heavier than on the T-30 and an electric windlass is priceless.
Original Data Marine instruments may need upgrading.

These are some comments I have without knowing any specific questions. Hope this helps.

-Jim

Profile Email