Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - T37: how easy to sail?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 09 May 2024 03:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: T37: how easy to sail?
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010 14:17 
Rail Meat

I am looking at a Condor that's for sale in the UK, moving up from a 31ft cruising sloop. Any advice on how easy is it is to sail would be greatly appreciated. Would a T37 suit a middle aged couple, or does it need more muscle? Also, how dry is the cockpit in a choppy sea? All advice gratefully received.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: T37: how easy to sail?
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010 15:23 
Tactictian

For me they are ridiculously easy to sail, just like a big dinghy. I had a contessa 32 a while ago and wanted the most similar bigger boat that I could find (my kids grew). The limiting factor was that my wife could single hand it - she is 5'4" and maybe 115 lbs.

We spend quite a bit of time fishing, often near rocks in windy conditions, and I just sail around with a scrap of headsail. Not scared myself yet.

I would say that the cockpit is fairly dry, the only time we have had significant water in it has been on a beam reach in 6ft+ seas when a wave slapped the side of the hull and water was blown into the cockpit. Maybe twice in a 12hr sail. Was significantly nasty out though. Sea of Cortez spray is significantly nicer than English Channel spray though!!

The decks can be wet though, not a lot of freeboard up forward, but that translates into low windage and good pointing ability. It is all a compromise.

I really like the boat.

Charlie

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: T37: how easy to sail?
PostPosted: 01 May 2010 14:29 
Able Bodied Seaman

My Tartan 37 was previously owned by a 5'2", 110 lb. woman who single handed the boat albeit with the help of a wheel pilot (Raymarine). The boat is exceedingly dry if you have a dodger. On my maiden voyage we went across the Big Bend of Florida, a rough patch when the wind pipes up. We had 30+ knots and six to seven foot seas. Green water came across the bow many times but not into the cockpit. We just sat in the lee of the dodger and let the autopilot steer us with severely rolled-up jib and a double reefed main (going to windward). The boat just marched on while some of the crew just slept on in the quarter berth. Not much cooking on the second day but the boat was stout, steady and "kept on truckin'." Sparkman Stephens knows how to design sailing yachts; not floating condos nor sea slugs but deliciously responsive sailing vessels (this based on my fifty years of racing and cruising).

Profile Email