Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Autopilots

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 18:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Re: Autopilots
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2010 10:46 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hello everyone !
I'm also considering upgrading our actual wheel pilot (old ST4000) to a more robust one with a linear drive (ST6002 with type 1 drive, rated up to 22000 lbs).
Any infos or comments on how to fit the drive to the steering system would be highly appreciated !

If anyone can provide me a sketch of picture of the linear drive installation, it would be great !
The only way that I can figure installing the drive is to bolt the motor's end unther the cockpit sump aera; but it woud imply some reinforcement I think.

By the way Edson don't recommand to link the linear drive directly on the radial drive wheel but will provide a custom made autopilot tiller arm to link the drive to the rudderpost.

Have a great sailing season !
[img]

Hull #162
YCQ, Qu?bec City, QC, Canada

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Autopilots
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2010 13:30 
Able Bodied Seaman

JD....I had a nice (old) Raymarine below deck autopilot on my previous boat (a Morgan 323) that worked very well. The linear drive was attached to the rudder post by way of a short bronze tiller. I liked the redundancy of the system as this gave me three ways to turn the rudder (wheel, autopilot and emergency tiller). Of course, if the rudder fell off I would be SOL.

As I have a stern ladder and davits, I wonder how one could fit in a Monitor (or other brand) wind vane. Does anyone have thoughts on this? On the other hand, one would use the wind vane on long passages when the dinghy would be somewhere on deck (if I could find a place; hmmm).

Profile Email