Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Autopilots

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 15:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Autopilots
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010 16:19 
Midshipman

I have just bought a 1979 Tartan 37, hull 181. I am beginning to think about autopilots and was curious about the experiences of others

Tim

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Autopilots
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010 16:38 
Able Bodied Seaman

Welcome Tim! Where do you sail out of? That may temper some comments about appropriate autopilots.

John Harvey
New Day T-37 #16

New Day T37 #16
Newport RI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010 16:57 
Midshipman

John,

We'll be sailing out of the Annapolis area. Most of the sailing will be on the Chesapeake, but I plan a fair amount of coastal as well (Maine). The boat was equipped with an older below-deck pilot, but it no longer works. I've thought about the Raymarine wheel pilot, but it pushes the recommended displacement limit. Down the road we may also sail to the Caribbean, and would think about a vane as well. That is part of the reason I'm considering the wheel pilot now rather than a below-deck mode, and use it primarily while under power.

Tim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010 21:23 
Skipper

Another Chesapeake Tartan. Welcome.
We have an old AutoHelm... 5000+ I think is the model. Does the job well, but has been drawing so much current under sail that it hits low voltage and resets on occasion. Even on brand new batts. So ours is mostly under power. Might be time for an upgrade.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010 19:30 
Skipper

Betty Lou has an Alpha Marine below deck autopilot, installed by the p.o. I love this pilot! Absolutely trouble-free, and very low power usage. Many circumnavigators swear by them for their reliability, simplicity, and good steering, even in following seas.

These are not fancy, they can't interface with your chart plotter, etc. But it is reliable to a fault. I have a wired remote for mine that lets me hand steer from under the dodger. I've not had to use the tech support or repair services, but have heard the company's service is excellent.

Here's a link:

http://www.alphamarinesystems.com/

Later --

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010 12:17 
Skipper

svheron35 wrote:
John,

We'll be sailing out of the Annapolis area. Most of the sailing will be on the Chesapeake, but I plan a fair amount of coastal as well (Maine). The boat was equipped with an older below-deck pilot, but it no longer works. I've thought about the Raymarine wheel pilot, but it pushes the recommended displacement limit. Down the road we may also sail to the Caribbean, and would think about a vane as well. That is part of the reason I'm considering the wheel pilot now rather than a below-deck mode, and use it primarily while under power.

Tim

I do not think a vane is very useful unless you are going to be in the trades and for long periods of time--I sailed from San Francisco to Maine for a couple years and would have had little time to use it. Under power you can probably get by with a wheel pilot, but I would not trust one when it gets snotty under sail (I carry one as a backup to my under deck and it could handle most things, but not all). I would suggest that you consider getting your underdeck drive repaired (if it is a good one, properly installed). If you let us know or give us a picture of the installation and the computer that is driving it, we could offer some help. As an old delivery skipper, I like the drives of the Raymarine/Autohelm units, but not the old computers (the newer ones are fine). The old Alpha's are dearly loved by their owners and are very tough, but I do not like having to mechanically disengage them. The patented electric clutch on the Raymarine/Autohelm Linear drives are much easier to use. Mine has steered my T37 more than 10,000 miles without problems.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010 09:28 
Midshipman

Thanks to all for the feedback and suggestions. Much appreciated.
As I said, I've just purchased "An Cobh," hull #181. The autopilot is a Cetec Benmar 210 and may have been installed as early as 1980. The company, I don't believe, is still in business. The mechanics of the installation appear excellent. The drive or power unit is mounted on a metal beam spanning the area beneath and in front of the steering quadrant. A substantial worm gear was added at the top of the rudder post for the chain sprocket from the power unit. The whole thing appears very rugged. All I was told was that the "unit hadn't worked for years." Repair might be an option, though I wonder about the dated electronics. I also wonder if it might be possible to replace or update the "brains"?

Tim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010 17:34 
Skipper

Yes. you should be able to replace the brains. I am not current with the options. One of the best a couple years ago was the Raymarine with a Gyro. And you do not want one of their computers from a long time ago. I would think that a competent marine electronics sales person could help you, but many of them would prefer to sell you a completely new system. I will tell you that you probably have a very sturdy drive system that will certainly outperform a wheel pilot and it is no trick to hook any reasonably good brain to any drive. There are three wires. Benmars were good units.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010 13:33 
Tactictian

We have a monitor windvane, and use it as an autopilot with a small tiller pilot replacing the wind paddle. Very low current draw, but who cares we are usually motoring.

Both function flawlessly.

I use the windvane all the time when sailing, it would be the last bit of gear I would do without. Works on all points of sail.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2010 07:37 
Skipper

Greetings: I had a Cetec Benmar 210 on a boat some years ago, and it steered for many a thousand miles with no problems. A real good look at cabling and connections might prove rewarding. I would agree with the above post regarding a wind-vane and a cheapo tiller pilot: best gear you can buy. I would not consider doing any sailing without the services of a good wind-vane self steering device.

Profile Email