Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Almost a 37 owner #51

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Apr 2024 12:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Almost a 37 owner #51
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008 08:50 
Rail Meat

Hi All,

I have been lurking around this site for awhile and found it to be a tremendous resource in the decision to purchase a tartan 37. A hearty thanks to all involved.

After a six month+ search of trying to find the right boat at the right price we finally compromised a little on equipment for a very well maintained and sound hull. Engine hours are a bit high but again appears very well maintained with no apparent issues.

The surveyor David Manning (what a character) of Annapolis did a great job and found one issue with the backstay chain plate oozing moisture but we'll get to that with you guys later.

The boat is Whim(#51) out of St Michaels, anyone know her?

I am purchasing the boat with a partner, we both have young kids(3-10) and its time to introduce them to the joys of sailing as our parents did for us. My son(6) made me promise to take him to THE corral reef, he keeps asking when, too much Nemo I think! We are located in Naples, FL.

We take ownership on Halloween (ewww spooky) and will immediately start the journey/slog to Florida (sorry guys one less 37 on the Chesapeake). Between myself and my partner, with various friends as crew we plan to tag team it down the coast. Having never actually sailed a tartan 37(crazy but I?ll take your word it?s a joy) and with the prospect of some offshore work I?ll be posting a few questions.

James Clubley

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Almost a 37 owner #51
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008 09:11 
Skipper

Congrats! You'll love her. And Annapolis to Naples is a heck of a shake down cruise!
Take it mellow and watch that Gulf Stream.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2008 02:21 
Rail Meat

Jim,
Also in the market for a T37. I was gonna go look at Whim and Entemedor but I haven't had the time to really start searching yet. Seem to be quite a few pre 84 37's on the market right now. Just curious if during your search you've sensed more price negotiating leeway given the financial turmoil out there? Hard to believe there are many cash buyers at the moment but who knows. Good luck with the trip down! I'm envious!

Dave

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2008 02:45 
Able Bodied Seaman

Welcome aboard as well. I'm a bit jealous, having cruised my first boat from Baltimore to Fernandina Beach (above Jacksonville FL). Great trip! We're hoping to replace you in the Chesapeake in two years, so don't feel too bad.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2008 06:08 
Skipper

James,
I have seen Whim on a few occations and was always impressed on how clean she looked. I wouldn't mind starting a trip south right about now, beautiful time of the year. Congratuations, I don't think you'll be dissapointed in her!

Dave,
Although I have never seen Entemedor up close and personal, I have met the previous owner, Vic Paterno (if its the same Entemedor) back when the T-37 Association had winter gams. I believe he was from New Jersey and kept the boat in the bay if I remember correctly....of course my memory is a bit wacked, too many Painkillers from Pussers!!! Very Happy
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2008 08:25 
Rail Meat

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Yep its quite the shakedown cruise, LOL. We are madly swatting up on the ICW, anchorages, inlets etc etc.... There is a lot more too the trip than I had originally thought. Its a shame we don?t have more time to really appreciate the uniqueness of it all. My partner will be taking the first week hopefully getting to Myrtle beach or maybe Charleston and I'll take the second making at least Jacksonville and hopefully well beyond.

Dave, we looked at Entemedor and actually made an offer on her. She is also in great shape cosmetically, VERY clean. Nice features being the painted mast and hard dodger. I was surprised at the lack of willingness to deal given the economic situation. Many of these boats have original owners that are just too proud to let them go for any lowball offer even if they have been sitting on the market for a year+. Saying that we did negotiate a nice discount off the asking just to give you an idea. If you can get her for around 20% off I would say Entemedor is the best value/cleanest boat on the market (we looked at some shockers). If you want more details I?d be happy to oblige.

I just posted a 'Reefing Schedule' thread over in the Seamanship and Navigation forum so any incite would be appreciated.

Thanks James

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2008 23:33 
Skipper

I did that run with the Naval Academy in '85 - Annapolis to Ft. Lauderdale to Freeport to Annapolis. That was on a 44ft Luder's Yawl with a 6'2" draft. You'll have a much better time in the ICW than we did. Can't even count how many times I was sent out on the boom to lean the boat out of the mud. (I was the biggest Plebe on board.)

Don't think that would even be an option for High Flight with the full keel 6'7" draft. Sorry... waxing philosophic because tomorrow we deliver ours for pulling out of the water. The season is over and I'm already in dire need of a sailing fix! Mad

Tartan

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2008 03:21 
Rail Meat

James, Tom,

Thanks for the advice and sorry for partially highjacking the thread. The pics of Whim in the Yachtworld listing look great. Hopefully I'll be able to post my own hull # introduction if the stock market doesn't go to zero first!

Profile Email