Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - 437 "ShadowFax" New Owners

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Apr 2024 13:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: 437 "ShadowFax" New Owners
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2008 21:38 
Rail Meat

Last week my wife and I purchased Shadowfax, an absolutely beautiful 1984 T-37 CB sloop. Last weekend we sailed her to her new home south of Annapolis in Galesville, MD. My wife Virginia and myself, Bob, plus a sailing friend Ian drove down to the Northern-Neck of Virginia on Saturday morning, loaded the boat up with gear and got underway. Although we could have showed up with nothing more a change of clothes, because the PO keep this boat in absolutely pristine condition, and stocked it with everything we would need including fresh sheets, pillows and blankets! The surveyor within 5 minutes of seeing the boat for the first time commented to me that this was more like a 10 year old boat than one of 25 years, sweet! We made the 78 mile journey up the Chesapeake Bay starting around 15:00 motoring into an easterly headwind on the Great Wicomico River, hoisting sail as we hit the bay on a reach with 7-10 knots of breeze. This was the first time I had actually sailed her other than a 5 minute surveyor sail and it really sails nice with a new fully battened main and nearly new 135 on the bow. As the sun was setting we were having our dinner in the well designed cockpit, unfortunately the wind was dying, but we were determined not to spoil the peaceful moment with the iron Ginny. We motor-sailed the rest of the night with the wind building to about 10 and shifting to the south, the 33HP Westerbeke pushed us along between 6-7 knots at 2000 rpm. Sailing at night is an amazing thing, all those stars, all those lights both ashore and on the water and oh yes those fast moving container ships and slow moving tugs pulling barges, radar is really the way to go. We got in too early, at 6:00 it was still dark, so we tied to the gas pier waited for Mr. Sun and found our temporary mooring.

We plan on sailing Shadowfax as much as we can next year so we can learn all about this T-37 and upgrade whatever we need to for our planned 3 year cruising adventure. I doubt we will cross any oceans, but will do some passage-making to the Bahamas and beyond.

Bob and Virginia Keene

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: 437 "ShadowFax" New Owners
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2008 09:43 
Skipper

Congratulations Bob,
I know the boat, She's a beaut! We keep ours on the lower Potomac and have seen Shadofax around from time to time.
Are you going to keep her at Hartges? That's where we bought our T-37 about 13 years ago. They were a Tartan dealer years ago and many Tartans wound up staying there.
I think you'll find the T-37 to be a pure joy to sail Cheers
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2008 18:08 
Rail Meat

Tom,
Thanks, we think she is a beaut also. After selling our Pearson 28-2 way faster than we anticipated, we debated to buy now or wait till next year. So after looking online at hundreds of boats then whittling the choice down to a few we went aboard about a dozen or so, as soon as we saw Shadowfax my wife said you might as well write the check now. The next 2 boats we saw that weekend all she could do was compare them to the Tartan. This boat was extremely well taken care of and it is well equipped. We will need to increase battery capacity, add wind/solar, convert the stove to propane and add more safety gear and we will be ready.

We have a mooring at Hartges till mid November than on the hard at Casa Rio on the Rhode River. Next year we are not sure where we will put her, Hartges does not have any slips available and I don't know if we will continue to have her on a mooring. There are a bunch of Tartans 37s at Hartges I counted 7 on one dock alone.

Bob
T-37 "437"

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2008 15:09 
Midshipman

Welcome aboard Bob!

We keep SOLARE at Herrington Harbour South, and can say we are very happy with both the amenity's and location.

Look forward to seeing you out on the water, and hopefully meeting at either one of the CBTSC events or a potential T-37 rendezvous next season!

Glenn

SOLARE #442

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2008 19:11 
Skipper

Welcome to the "club" Toast I see a Chesapeake rendezvous next season!

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2008 05:09 
Able Bodied Seaman

Welcome aboard, from afar. We're hoping in two seasons to be back in the Chesapeake, and I look forward to seeing another great boat on the water! Cheers

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2008 09:00 
Skipper

Congrats. And the Chesapeake club expands!
Glad you found the boat and the forum and good luck with the upgrades.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email