Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Looking at a T37

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 21:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Looking at a T37
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2008 13:55 
Rail Meat

Hello all I am seriously considering a Tartan 37 love the boat. I looked at a 1978 yesterday overall the boat was in good shape very clean has had no upgrades at all except for a nice set of lewmar 52 ST winches a dodger and bimini. She has a Perkins 38 ( I thought they all came with Westerbeke's) original hours unknown. Original sails and standing rigging. Original Auto helm instruments. One concern was the mast looked slightly skewed to the starboard and had some foam rubber inside the cabin on the port side at the deck where the mast comes in is this normal. see pic. The boat has been in the great lakes all it's life and stored indoors for most of that time in the winter. What is a fair price in your opinions for this boat. Asking price is 69k.
Attachment:
DSC00408.JPG

DSC00408.JPG [ 1.71 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
mast2.jpg

mast2.jpg [ 821.85 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Looking at a T37
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2008 17:40 
Rail Meat

She is a nice sailing boat. I have been sailing hull # 172 (similar year as the one you are looking at) for 4 years. My Dad purchased her new. As far as the mast goes that doesn't seem normal. It would be good to check to see if the mast is plumb and the stays are equally tensioned. It is possible it isn't rigged correctly. If stuff on the top sides is ok then it is possible that the lower mount plate is out of line w/ the through deck hole. The foam wedges are called "partners" I have mine fore and aft, not side to side. If you are really serious it might be worth having a surveryor check her over. If she is sound you will definitely enjoy sailing her.

Captain Ron

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2008 18:22 
Rail Meat

Now that you mention it the port stay did seem to have less tension on it. Could this cause the mast to bend and or become weakened

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2008 11:33 
Skipper

Go for it!!
Here's an idea, and it's just an idea, the mast leaning to starboard could be a result of the boats natural list to port. If the boat has empty water tanks and a full fuel tank, she'll list to port a few degrees. It could be that the PO set the mast up to counter the list????

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2008 18:10 
Midshipman

I'm going to agree with Tortuga on the PO compensating for the Port list.

The rubber shims are the originals from Tartan. For $100 or so you can replace them with a Spartight kit.

From the photos the interior looks looks to be in great shape and the price sounds right. The Tartan 37 is one of the few boats made that sells used for about the original invoice price, makes them as good an investment one can make in a boat.

Good luck!

SOLARE #442

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2008 19:09 
Skipper

The pic totally makes it looks like he has it shimmed to one side. We have wood shims from the top all the way around to keep the mast centered there. I'm working on the captain to go with a more solid solution next year.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2008 07:38 
Able Bodied Seaman

The mast is not centered on the boat this may seem to be a big deal, but in reality it is a very simple fix, Take a line and run it from one cockpit winch to the other with one turn on the mast, winch the line tight enough so that you can get the old partners out , What I do is run a 100 ft tape up the hailyard and measure the distance to each chain plate. When both sides are even I place the partners in the sides just forward of center, Don,t forget to put the two partners in the back before you put tension on the winches , Hopefully Ive explained it good enough for you to fix. If you have a problem just e-mail me at sailorflo@gmail.com. If you are not to far from me I might be able to give you a hand It is always easier for two people to do a job than one. I almost forgot (you will have a hard time finding a better boat, We have had our Tartan for two years its hull #369 and we have no desire to even look at other boats the Tartan 37 is one of the best boats built for living and cruzin out there.) Flo, Marty, Gotmilk, @ sharkbait Bow

Profile Email