Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hello from Oregon

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 10:14

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Hello from Oregon
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2006 23:21 
Skipper

Hi Group --

My wife Muki and I have owned hull #118, currently Rainbow, for almost a year now. We purchased her from her 2nd owner, Tom Schneider, who is now 82, and had taken great care of her since 1981. I used my inheritance from my mother (who got me interested in boats in the first place) to buy Rainbow, so I'll be renaming her "Betty Lou" sometime this winter.

We bought her in Seattle and kept her in Olympia until July of this year. Did a lot of windless cruising in South Sound before sailing her down the Washington coast to St. Helens on the Columbia river in July.

Rainbow came to us with an engine driven refer, a great autopilot, radar, loran, propane cabin heater, hydraulic backstay, rigid boom vang, furling headsail, and serviceable sail inventory.

So far upgrades have been minimal, as Tom kept her in top condition. I installed a computer system and GPS to augment the loran and radar, installed pad eyes in the cockpit for off shore, replaced the battery switch with a new DC switch panel and battery combiner, and replaced the AC switches with a new AC panel. I plan on replacing all the AC wiring and adding an inverter/charger/battery monitor. Biggest current project is sanding and refinishing the toe rails with honey teak. Next Spring a bottom job is on the books... epoxy barrier coat and new topside paint job.

We have cruising plans that include several summers in the Inside Passage to Alaska, Queen Charlotte Islands, and a circumnavigation of Vancouver Island. Then South to Panama.

Thanks for setting up the forum. I hope it gets a lot of traffic.

Jay Kerr
Tartan 37 Rainbow #118
St. Helens, OR

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hello from Oregon
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2006 00:02 
Skipper

Wow! Great plans. I drove this down that passage...
And I have to imagine it'll be more fun in the Tartan. Cool

That's a lot of miles you have planned for Betty Lou. What kind of computer system did you put in? A nav/meter/repeater system or a full PC? We use a laptop with GPS and nav software when we cruise. I've always dreamed of integrating something in there... but it's not warranted at present.

Keep us posted on the progress, and good luck with the toe rails.

P.S. 38 users and growing... I'm sure the chatter will pick up really soon. (hint, hint... this is where the rest of you guys welcome Jay to the forum.)

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hello from Oregon - now PC
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2006 12:10 
Skipper

Hi Down2 --

The PC is a Shuttle mini pc (same form factor as a Macintosh mini) with the new Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I mounted it in the aft locker behind the port settee, and mounted a 19" monitor/TV on a swing arm above the nav station. The monitor can rotate to face forward for movies, or aft for nav duties. It's fully readable from the cockpit. I'm running Nobeltec software right now, but may switch. With a wireless mouse/keyboard, you can control the PC from anywhere. I'm going to add a wireless, weatherproof, daylight readable touchscreen remote monitor to use at the helm (someday), and also will have a Garmin GPSMap 478 portable GPS as a backup at the helm, with tracks downloaded from the PC.

Jay

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2006 19:49 
Skipper

Wow... you've executed my dream setup. Just about exactly what I've wanted to do. But we don't do enough long haul to warrant it quite yet. So it's laptop as needed for now.

FYI, in case you haven't run into it yet... Free nav software. http://www.sping.com/seaclear/
You just provide the e-charts.

Depending on your software and your instruments you can hook all that into your NMEA bus. From there you can do anything. Control your autohelm from the PC... with the remote. (Lord Nelson is no doubt rolling in his grave at the mere mention.)

Anyway... if you get a chance, please start a thread in the Custom Mods forum about your PC install. I'm curious about where you chose to mount the swing arm, your power supply, heat issues, etc.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2006 20:03 
Rail Meat

Hi Jay, Welcome aboard.

I checked out your pictures. Wow! Looks like a great cruise & a beautiful area.

Joe

High Flight #299

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2006 22:28 
Rail Meat

Hi Jay,

Nice to meet you, and thanks for the "Rainbow" update. We became friends with Tom Schneider while we kept our Tartan (#119) in Olympia and outfitted her for cruising. Tom drove all the way from Seattle to Olympia just to give us a bottle of Champagne to open when we sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge, having completed our first offshore passage (see http://ourdotcom.com/TripLog/USWestCoas ... mpagne.jpg ).

If you speak with Tom, please tell him HI and give him our warm regards.

Be well,
Eric

Profile Email