Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Tartan 3700 with cruise control rig

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 13:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Tartan 3700 with cruise control rig
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2007 12:10 
Rail Meat

Greetings All,
We have a 2008 Tartan 3700 on order with the cruise control rig -CCR. Has anyone had experience with this setup? She is to be fitted with North main and a three vertical batten jib. Comments anyone.
Thanks,
Les

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Tartan 3700 with cruise control rig
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2007 12:17 
Skipper

Congratulations on your new boat, I hope that she serves you well Cheers
I am not familiar with the idiosyncrasies of that rig, but I would think that it would limit you on the size of jib/genoa that you could fly making it somewhat limited in real light air; although, you could fly an assymetrical.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2007 12:24 
Skipper

Not sure how much help you'll find here. We're all T37C sailors right now. Sailnet has a section for you I think, but you're more than welcome to hang around here. If you find that T3700 owners don't have a central place to discuss, and if there's enough interest, I'd be happy to make a few new T3700 categories and welcome them in. Anyone have an opinion on that? There should be some beneficial overlap.

Oh... and JEALOUS!!! Enjoy the new ride!

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2007 12:24 
Rail Meat

Hi,
I forgot to mention she is also equipped with a furling reacher right in front of the jib. Also the mast is 6 feet higher than the regular rig to create a high aspect ratio jib.
Les

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2007 10:14 
Rail Meat

Hi Les! I am expecting delivery on our 3400 at the end of January. I understand the main is loose footed and fully battened. I also ordered the reacher that sets in front of the self tacking jib. I did not order the lazy jack option as I'm sure I can flake the main in the boom. Congrats on the 3700. I've been dealing with Tartan and they are absolutly terrific. Where are you located? We are in N.J. and sail Barnegat Bay.....hence our boat is a centerboarder.

Dale

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2007 17:31 
Rail Meat

Hi Dale:
We live in North Jersey (Wayne), but have a house on Cape Cod. We sail Cape Cod bay and keep our boat on a mooring in Provincetown (there are no seasonal slips).

This is the third 3700 we have ordered. first one didn't have an option we wanted and could not be retrofitted the second #136 made it all the way to Annapolis but with an aluminum toe rail instead of teak (dealers mistake) can't be changed. Tartan is working on #139 due mid January.

We also got the reacher but opted for the lazy jacks. Biggest problem with lazy jacks is raising sail because the ends of the battens catch on the lazy jacks. This was our experience on our IP which we traded on the Tartan.

I would expect the vessel to perform well with the taller more powerful main and vertical batten jib. Not sure how these work. Sails are by North.

We test sailed a 34 with the CCR at Annapolis and was really impressed almost changed our order. Our broker races and tells us he has seen double digit speed numbers on a 34. Lovely boat.

We may move down to the metropolitan area next year because we will get so much more use out of the boat. Been checking out local marinas until the weather turned ugly. Traffic is the big problem.
Where are you taking delivery?

Regards,
Les Christopher (soon to be 3700 owner)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2007 18:12 
Rail Meat

Hi Les..Sounds like your sailing grounds are just beautiful. Our bay is congested and shallow, but it's literally at my doorstep. I have arranged to have our boat delivered to my yard. I commissioned my Tartan 10 and plan to do the same with the 3400. Ive been working with my yard many, many years and they are quite familiar with Tartans. Rob Winsor has also offered his help with the boat. This boat will be quite the departure from our sailing. We've raced all our lives and never stopped to really smell the sea air; it's now time to change that. Been there trying to line up consistent crew every week for the E-Scow to just having the wife as the crew. My wife really enjoys the racing and has been there on every race with me. But now it's time for a new type of sailing. We are excitied about this and plan to cruise if our work permits. I went with Neal Pryde sails as the local Pryde sailmaker cut my sails for my 10 under North. He has been on his own for quite sometime and has cut sails for me for many years. I feel confident in this endeavour as well.

Nice boat that IP....Our friend has a 36? and it sure is a beautiful boat. However, because of the shallow bay, they are at the dock many days of the summer. Hence, the 3400 has the best draft offered in a beautiful boat. We considered many boats, but kept coming back to the Tartan. We have many 37's sailing in our bay....Just beautiful boats. We looked at a few pre-owned, but seemed just a little too much boat for my wife and I to handle. I also looked at three 3500's. Very, Very, nice....However, none we available in a centerboard version, and the draft was just too much for the bay.

Tartans are wonderful boats...I'm sure your wait will be well rewarded as your 3700 will soon be yours. Till then, we can only think about the summer and the sails ahead......

Regards........Dale

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2007 17:42 
Rail Meat

Hi Dale;

Since we are looking at marinas can you suggest any that would accommodate a 3700 (bevertail keel 5 ft draft). We have avoided the NJ shore because of the traffic problems, but our work schedules are such that we could avoid peak hours.

As a kid I spent a lot of time on LBI and raced some type of scow that my cousin owned. I believe I was the live ballast. Fond memories! What areas do you intend to sail in?

I have a chart of the area that goes to Cape May. Where should I be looking? It seemed that to get any depth you had to get out to the Atlantic. What about the Raritan area, is that to commercial?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards, Les

Profile Email