Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Recess T-37 #321 Checks In

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 18 Apr 2024 18:23

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Recess T-37 #321 Checks In
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2006 21:23 
Rail Meat

Greetings All.

Got the notice directly in my e-mail client about the new forum. Thanks Mike - hats off for your effort. I work in a nuclear plant so lots of my compadres came from the Academy and many, many of the staff are ex U-boat crew.

I'm not quite a plank holder on the other forums, but have been a member since my wife and I bought Recess in 1998. We've been through the SailNet forum and now Yahoo. This should be interesting since it focuses on the T-37.

Recess sits on a mooring in the Mystic River in Noank, Connecticut. I find it funny that T-37's are a lot like Labrador retrievers, everybody who has one loves it and they all look alike unless you look carefully. So many white hulls with yellow horseshoe buoys on the starboard stern rail, etc.

We sail mostly in the southern New England area. Block Island, Newport, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, and the east end of Long Island. The usual suspects. We took her to Maine this year as part of the TONE Maine Cruise; our farthest venture.

Now that Recess is well over twenty years old (hull was molded in Hamlet, NC, in December of 1980 - commissioned on Lake Champlain by her first owner in the spring of 1981) I'm dealing with a lot of significant and less significant wear and end of expected life issues. The old Westerbeast 50 has about 2,000 hours on her, but all those cycles of warm summers and cold winters are taking their toll. So far so good, but I'm never sure what the future holds.

I've replaced both water tanks, completely rebuilt the sewer system and added a 35 gallon holding tank, new hot water tank, all the instruments and autopilot, etc. Lots of minor and toolpouch maintenance.

Look forward to what shapes up here.

Gary Van Voorhis
Recess T-37 #321

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Recess T-37 #321 Checks In
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2006 22:06 
Skipper

Thanks for jumping in Gary! You're just behind us in the wear and tear so I'm sure we'll be comparing notes. In the meanwhile, stop by often.

Oh... and we're special... white horseshoe bouy for High Flight! Cool

I hit the Yahoo group but never got a feel for the Sailnet group. If you think there's a few T37 guys over there, please spread the word. If it works out like the car forums, the broad spectrum forum compliments the dedicated forum quite nicely.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email