Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Blue water boat?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 17:29

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Blue water boat?
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2007 20:06 
Rail Meat

Hello All...
I keep my first questions short...
Is the Tartan 37 a good blue water boat?
Would you recommend her for blue water?
I plan to leave British Columbia, sail down the coast to Mexico, then would like to come through the Panama up into the Caribbean and visa versa...is the T37 the right boat? If so which keel design would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Steve Wallace

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Blue water boat?
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007 06:31 
Skipper

Steve, Yes the T-37 is capable of crossing oceans (there have been a few noteworthy circumnavigations) as long as you do a few modificaitons, such as a conversion to a cutter rig, but then again, the route your thinking about, a sloop will be fine. You'll need a larger battery bank than what was factory and some electrical upgrades. You may want to replace the old plastic portlights for these are probably on their last legs. The tankage for a 37 foot boat is respectable, but for a live-a-board, you may want to add more water.
The hull configurations are both stout, but the deep keel version may be more suitable with no centerboard, but the centerboarders will be better for the Bahamas and the Chesapeake. I have the C/B version and feel confident with her sea keeping abilities. All of the ratios, such as the balast/displacement, with the T-37 are in the cruising category and indicate that she is stiff and can handle the loads associated with cruising.
For the comparitive money, the T-37 plus the upgrades makes for a good buy with the added benefit of having a beautiful classic that can sail !!! Very Happy
Good luck, Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2007 08:54 
Skipper

Concur

With the full keel, High Flight has provide pretty comfortable transit in some very nasty conditions. But I've voyaged on the c/b version and know that can hold up to the big weather as well. I sometimes feel guilty that she hasn't been out of Lake Michigan, but time will tell... you never know.

I've done some Atlantic sailing and would have no hesitation setting out on our T37. (Though the 6'7" draft would make the islands "exciting".)

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 May 2008 09:03 
Rail Meat

HI

I was wondering if a 1975 Tartan 30 would also be a good blue water boat ?

Nova Scotia to England , then south back across the Atlantic to Carribean and up the coast back to NS ?
I have the tall rig with extra 3' mast and 500 lbs extra lead keel

Anyone know

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 May 2008 12:30 
Tactictian

We did that trip exactly in our old boat, a wooden Bill Garden double ender, and sold it in Annapolis.

We have just bought a Tartan 37 with the deep keel to do the same thing but turn right at Mexico and go to NZ. I think this is the right boat for us, it sails well, is roomy and solid.

We will be in Victoria until the end of June (downtown) if you would like to look at the boat to get an idea.

Charlie

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 May 2008 06:01 
Skipper

Rammin,
A friend of mine has a T-30 and I have sailed her hard on the Chesapeake. She may be a bit on the light side for open ocean transit, but people have done it on less. I would think she would be a bit tender in a blow, but reef early and be prepared for nasty weather. The T-30 has very limited fuel and water capacities so you'll need to up that somehow. I would be a bit concerned about the spade rudder, but again many boats have them and sail bluewater....good luck

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 May 2008 20:22 
Able Bodied Seaman

http://www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html This is a good site to compare the tartan to any other boat I think that you will be surprized at how well the tartan ranks

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 May 2008 07:27 
Skipper

Sailorflo...cool site, I haven't seen that one before.nice, thanks

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 May 2008 15:44 
Able Bodied Seaman

Just got back from an offshore race in Guam, overnighting to the next Marianas island. Was crew for a Hunter 40; all I thought of was "Why did I take my boat instead?" We got the crap kicked out of us both ways, but every moment I was thinking "Well, my boat would point higher, heel less, drive truer, pound less, etc" Not that offshore there was much comparison. Ours circumnavigated twice, and we have great faith in our return home via Japan.

Profile Email