Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hull #343 sv Heart of Gold

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 13:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Hull #343 sv Heart of Gold
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2022 20:31 
Able Bodied Seaman

I guess it's about time for introductions.

I am the very happy new owner of hull #343 (1981 - previously Esprit III). I bought her last March from the original owner who used her mostly day sailing and some Long Island Sound cruising. I like to say she's an original - not a lot of customization, but good maintenance and replacement work.

After a spring of replacing hoses and painting the bottom, we spent the summer sailing her out of Stamford, CT and we were on her most every weekend. Learned a lot and had a lot of fun. My background is mostly one design racing - Lightnings, J-24s, Etchells. I'm still figuring what this Westerbeke thing is that rumbles out of the bowels of the boat. And it's so big ;-)

This winter the mast is down, I'm replacing all the standing rigging and checking out the chainplates (~99% sure they will be replaced as well). There's lots of other work to do, but that's the priority at this time.

Appreciate all the information here and how helpful everyone is - I hope to be able to give back as I learn more and do more.

Sail Fast,

Heart of Gold #343
Long Island Sound

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hull #343 sv Heart of Gold
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2022 11:13 
Tactictian

Steve,
Welcome to The Club.
The forum is a great resource for T37 sailors helping T37 sailors. Since I have a sister hull ( 1981; #336) I’d be curious on the condition of your chain plates and CB pendent, thru hull..

Cheers.
Nick
S/V Angela Mia #336
Lake Superior.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2022 17:39 
Able Bodied Seaman

Dave -

Thanks - never really thought about that CB tube. the hose, yes, but not the tube.

It's got bit of surface rust, but it is smooth. The boat is actually in the water, just the mast is out. I'll polish it up and give it a closer inspection. It may have to wait for another day, or I'll have to do a quick haul and replace. Where do you get a replacement or do they need to be made?

The CB pennant and hose were replaced 5-6 years ago and both look to be in good shape.

Nick - I'll keep you posted on the chainplates and bulkheads once I finally get them out. Needless to say, gaining full access is a bit of a struggle. And this weekend's blizzard prevented me from doing any work.

Attachments:
File comment: Centerboard pennant tube
CB_Tube.jpeg
CB_Tube.jpeg [ 2.52 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Heart of Gold #343
Long Island Sound

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2022 21:46 
Navigator

When we bought our boat we replaced the centerboard pennant hose. Like others have found, the last 3/4" inch of the stainless pipe was getting pretty cruddy. I cut that off and bought a slightly longer piece of replacement hose. The rest of the pipe was fine.

This photo of the mast step brings up another point: when it rains we get water in the mast. It's trapped between the mast step and the mast itself. In a big December storm, the water was deep enough to spray out the exit hole for the mast's wiring, a couple of inches up. Has anybody cut a mouse hole in the bottom of the mast to drain this water out into the bilge? Or a small hole in the step itself?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2022 08:53 
Skipper

I've drilled some small holes near the base for drainage, seems to work

Richard

Profile Email