Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Prospective Tartan 37 Owner

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 11:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Prospective Tartan 37 Owner
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2021 14:19 
Rail Meat

I’m in the market for my next boat, and I’m considering two Tartan 37s that are for sale on Lake Erie in Ohio. I’ve done a lot of research on them and read a lot on this site, but I’m also looking for some honest opinions on whether you think the Tartan, in general, is the right choice for me and whether the two I’m looking at, in particular, may be.

My budget is about $50K, which includes any immediate repairs/upgrades. I have the resources to afford more, but my wife is averse to spending over that all in one year. So, I could spread out additional high cost upgrades over the course of a few years.

I sail on Lake Erie and mostly day sail on weekends and evenings. I do the occasional over-night trip. I want to start club racing (PHRF) and would like to go on longer, multi-day excursions. My current boat, an Ericsson 30-2, doesn’t meet my needs. My wife is a good sport, but not really a sailor and doesn’t like the camping-like level of creature comforts my Ericsson provides. Thus, I’m looking for a bigger boat (<=40’) that has: (1) a hot water shower, (2) wheel steering (raking the cockpit with my tiller is a big negative for my wife and non-sailing guests), and (3) air conditioning. Personally, I want something shoal draft, well built, good looking, and good sailing. Most subjectively, I want a boat that I love enough that I don’t mind throwing money into (I’ve owned 3 others, so I’m well aware of all the hidden and ongoing costs). My current boat simply isn’t that. I like working on boats and I’m pretty good at it, but I want to spend my time sailing, not recoring rotten decks (been there, done that) and missing sailing seasons. I plan to farm out more work than I have in the past, but I still like taking on the occasional project. I think that a Tartan 37 would be a pretty good match for what I’m looking for.

I’ve researched the Tartan 37 market and found 15 boats for sale in the U.S. The prices range from around $30K to $65K (with one outlier at $75K in California). The average price is about $52K - within my budget. Only three have been repowered, and those only command a slight premium.

The two for sale in Ohio are the two lowest priced ones on the market, asking right around $30K. I’ve looked at one so far (which I‘ve learned belongs to a member of this board) and I’m looking at the other tomorrow. The one I looked at seemed sound; I detected no soft spots on the deck. The owner said he potted, epoxy filled, redrilled, and rebed all the deck hardware about 10 years ago, when the boat had a fairly substantial refit. It’s seems to be in fairly good condition and well equipped. As is, it’s better than my current boat in every way. Unless a survey reveals serious defects, this boat seems like a bargain and would allow me to make some immediate improvements (like adding air conditioning, new standing rigging) and still stay within my initial budget.

So, any feedback or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Prospective Tartan 37 Owner
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021 04:39 
Skipper

You shouldn't have to pay $50K unless everything is almost new and there's lots of goodies. I saw a 1980's with Scheel keel, low hour Universal and all kinds of goodies go for $35K late last year. Even had deck scuppers aft.

I've got way too much into mine, but I know where every wire, every thru hull, every hose goes. I couldn't sell it for less than $55K and I'd still be losing.
She's going to the Caribbean for good for some cruising, maybe the Canal, along with this lobster boat (Dyer 29) I just got a spanky new reman Cummins 6BT into. I've been hitting way above my league, getting that monster lined up to 0.003" on the coupling. Fabricated engine brackets yesterday. She starts the journey end of next week on Sevenstar out of Portsmouth, R.I.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021 12:45 
Rail Meat

I went and looked at the other Tartan 37 for sale near me. This one is two years younger (1979 hull #192), and the price is about $2000 more. This one was still in the water.

From the looks of it, it’s been a fresh water boat it’s whole life. It also looks like very little has been done to it in terms of upgrades. It has the original plastic port lights and shows signs of water intrusion and delamination of the teak plywood under one. The deck looks original and shows it’s age, even though I didn’t feel any soft spots under my feet or detect any tapping around with a plastic hammer. The engine shows less than 600 hours (Westerbeke 50), and the hoses look original. There were no instruments on board nor was there a stove. The interior looked like it was in the process of refinishing. The only upgrades I saw was an older rigid vang, an older Harken traveler, and older Harken rolling furling. The rudder pintel was wet.

In comparison, the first boat I looked at was cosmetically better (just dirty) and had been smartly upgraded, mostly about 10 years ago, though. Topsides and deck had been painted, stainless cabin top grab rails, Newfound Metals stainless port lights with no sign of water intrusion. Refrigerator and freezer. Propane stove/oven and propane locker. Electric hot water heater. 50 amp shore power. Electric windlass. Newer instruments and auto pilot.

All in all, the first boat looks like a much better choice.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021 12:45 
Tactictian

T37s are great boats. S&S design, classic lines. Well built. Since they are all around 35-40 years old, I don’t think there is a “ turn key” boat out there. Good Ol boats, just not turn key…

If you come across a boat that’s been repowered, I think you are better off. Repowering including a new tranny could easily run over $20k. I’m glad my boat was repowered in 1992 with a Yanmar. Sometimes the more expensive boat is the better value.

That’s just my two cents.
Good luck on your purchase.
Cheers.

Nick,
S/V Angela Mia, #336
Lake Superior.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021 13:21 
Rail Meat

A repowered one would be nice, but of all the Tartan 37s that I’ve found for sale, only three have been. One is in New Jersey ($60K), one in Maryland ($65K), and one in Florida ($35K, but the broker admits it has significant moisture in the decks so that one is out). Add in the cost of flying to see them and shipping them to Ohio, I’d probably be way ahead if I repowered a local boat.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021 20:25 
Navigator

We've owned our T37 for a year now. We had a similar wishlist: "I want something shoal draft, well built, good looking, and good sailing. Most subjectively, I want a boat that I love enough that I don’t mind throwing money into."

So far we couldn't be happier. The T37 meets all these goals.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2021 17:03 
Skipper

My $0.02 worth.

Hurricane Sally put my boat ashore after taking off her rudder and skeg and sticking a dock cleat through the port stern quarter. The Admiral/wife/girlfriend who is NOT a blue water sailor looked around at other boats for sale before stating we were buying her back from the insurance company and fixing her up.

Due to the large number of boats that were damaged during the hurricane, we are still in the process of getting her fixed. In the process of repairs and upgrades and inspections, we found the aft lower chainplates were cracked. These cracks were within the decking where you couldn't see them from above or below. The cracks were on the outboard side of the chainplate.

So maybe, just maybe, you could loosen the chainplate cover and run a pick down the outside and see if it catches on anything within the decking.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2021 20:14 
Rail Meat

My offer was accepted, so I’m scheduling a survey. I’m hoping for the best. I went all over the deck with my plastic hammer and didn’t detect any soft spots. I’ve recored decks before and know what saturated decks look and sound like.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2021 23:37 
Rail Meat

I had the survey done, and I’m waiting on the written report. I talked with the surveyor over the phone, though, and he’s concerned about possible damage to the chainplates. One of the roller furler foils is dented (which I knew), and the seller reported that the yard caused it with the travel lift. Although there is no apparent damage, the shrouds are slack, so the surveyor is worried that the chainplates may have moved. The forestay, however, is not fastened to the bow, so I would expect the rig to be a little slack. When I looked at the boat, I checked out the chainplates and didn’t see any signs of damage. The seller said there is an insurance claim on the foil damage, and while I was out looking at the boat for the first time, the rigger showed up to inspect it. I’m not concerned about the foil or the forestay because the yard will fix that. I’m concerned about the chainplates and bulkheads. I’m going to go look at it again and try to get a really close look at the chainplates. Any advice? Is there any way to verify the condition of the chainplates without removal? Is a blow to the forestay that is strong enough to dent a foil (maybe 4” deflection) enough to damage chainplates? Thanks

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2021 06:32 
Tactictian

No way to adequately inspect chainplates without remocing them. In fact, crevice corrosion can start on the inside and work outward. FWIW, i pulled mine in the spring because I was concerned. Visually, they looked perfect from the outside. Reinstalled with new standing rigging. No issues after several thousand miles of sailing this year, mostly in moderate to strong wind.

I doubt deflection to the forestay would cause damage to chainplates. Shock loads would cause shroud damage well before chainplate damage and the mast would absorb a lot of shock loads.

Profile Email