Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Prospective Tartan 37 Owner

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 07:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Re: Prospective Tartan 37 Owner
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2021 09:30 
Rail Meat

I closed on #22 yesterday. The rigger was able to inspect and found no sign of chainplate damage. I also got written assurances that the yard would bear the cost of repairing the furler and replacing the forestay.

Unfortunately, it’s December on Lake Erie, so I have to wait until Spring to sail her.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021 11:10 
Tactictian

Tom in Ohio wrote:
I closed on #22 yesterday. The rigger was able to inspect and found no sign of chainplate damage. I also got written assurances that the yard would bear the cost of repairing the furler and replacing the forestay.

Unfortunately, it’s December on Lake Erie, so I have to wait until Spring to sail her.

Congrats. How are the moisture levels in deck and cockpit core?

This the one? https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1977-t ... 7-7668051/

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021 11:42 
Rail Meat

Yes, that’s the one. There was no elevated moisture in the cockpit or the vast majority of the deck. There was a small spot by the aft end of the port genoa track and a small spot on the transom. The previous owner potted out, epoxied, and redrilled all the deck hardware (except outer genoa tracks) ten years ago. The deck is solid.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021 12:21 
Tactictian

Tom in Ohio wrote:
Yes, that’s the one. There was no elevated moisture in the cockpit or the vast majority of the deck. There was a small spot by the aft end of the port genoa track and a small spot on the transom. The previous owner potted out, epoxied, and redrilled all the deck hardware (except outer genoa tracks) ten years ago. The deck is solid.

Looks like a nice level of equipment for the price, and I can't over-emphasize how having a good deck makes this a really good deal. I'm well over $50K into my free boat refit doing all the work myself and still have a lot of deck work to do and frankly I'm beside myself thinking about the enormity of the job. Things to check based on my experience are: leaks in the overhead and chainplates, cabin sole delam/rot, mold formation in areas prone to moisture, old high amp electrical circuits (starter, glow plugs, ammeter), hatch seals/leaks, steering and engine control cables, steering idler pully bushings/pins, all on-deck and mast lighting / wiring, mast chocks/partner, mast step, CB through hull and pennant, all CB hardware (esp the bracket and the stainless screws that fasten it to the keel), starboard chainplate bulhead (look up from the the pilot berth to see if leaks caused the 2" plywood bulkhead to rot), plumbing (has it been replaced?) and then there's the whole engine can 'o worms like exhaust elbow, clogged xchanger, belts, raw water pump, zincs, etc. So much more than that but it looks like you have a good starting point. I'm interested to see what you find!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2021 13:46 
Tactictian

Welcome to the club.
Cheers.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2021 21:55 
Skipper

I tuned in late. Seems like you got a great boat for a decent price. I have had my T37 for 29 years and sailed it aggressively on San Francisco Bay and cruised both coasts of Central America for a couple years and sailed it to my summer home in Maine several years ago--where I annually spend weeks in the islands of Maine and trips to Nova Scotia. I have done all the maintenance myself including a repowering, multiple rigging replacements, rewiring, deck drill and fill, etc. so I have had nearly everything redone at some point and been through every system. They are great boats. My view is that a repowered and superiorly equipped (windlass, under deck autopilot, solid deck and recent rigging and sails) and maintained boat (probably a rarity) should get $60K and I think there are knowledgeable buyers (and I think Tartans attract a more knowledgeable sailor type than many other production boats. Buying Tartan is frequently not their first boat--so they know what to look for as this thread suggests) out there who would understand that that is a bargain compared to bringing a cheaper one up to offshore competence and comfort. There are quite a few Tartans around and many (most?) of them I have seen look really sad and neglected--when I add up what I would have to do to bring them up to even mediocre shape doing the work myself--well buying competently upgraded seems like strong financial incentive. I have helped a number of friends buy boats in the last couple years and my suggestion is that the cheapest boat is rarely a bargain and the most expensive one might not be as expensive in the long run. I am thinking good ones are hard to find, but it sounds like you did it. Congratulations.
Ray

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2021 18:08 
Rail Meat

Thanks.

I inherited from the seller (3rd owner) the journals that the 2nd owner wrote. Apparently, he was an engineer and wrote extensive service and maintenance logs and also volumes on his sailing adventures. He was based on Lake Huron, sailed in 10 Port Huron to Mackinac solo races, and sailed it to the Caribbean and back. Some of what he wrote would be of interest to other owners. I did some research and found out that he is still alive ( in his 90s), so I plan on writing to him and asking for his permission to reprint portions of his journal online.

Luckily, the last two owners have been very meticulous. Both were fairly accomplished single hand sailors. The original owner didn’t use her much, but paid a professional to maintain her. I purposely bought a boat under my budget so I could continue with proper care, maintenance, and upgrades.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2021 21:12 
Skipper

You are incredibly lucky to find a boat with that kind of maintenance history. Good going.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2022 13:00 
Rail Meat

I finally had the time and weather to rename her and bring the shin back to the topsides. Two days worth of polishing, waxing, and buffing.

Not sure why my photos are sideways, though.

Attachments:
4EB425B2-22E3-4DE9-9049-37ADFF1573E8.jpeg
4EB425B2-22E3-4DE9-9049-37ADFF1573E8.jpeg [ 265.6 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
E7270AB8-9E8B-4BDD-BB32-448FA52641EA.jpeg
E7270AB8-9E8B-4BDD-BB32-448FA52641EA.jpeg [ 221.48 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2022 09:23 
Midshipman

Hi Tom,

I assume the boat you purchased was the one that the owner did a epoxy island job when rebedding the fittings. This work is HUGE and adds a lot of value to your purchase especially if the deck is sound. I have owned Erewhon for 10 years now and the longer more I learn the boat the more I appreciate the design. Other than the global design features, there are many minor features that make for a very enjoyable vessel to sail is a wide range of wind and sea states. The chain plate removal and inspection is not a difficult job and will give you some piece of mind when beating hard on it in the lake Erie chop. I had some rot in the port bulkhead near the chain plate and this was replaced and reglassed. the glass near the chain plate is thick on each side too.

Enjoy and share your boat name so if I spot you out their we can share a toast.

Regards,

John McCallum
906-370-3118

Profile Email