Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Introduction

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 12:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2021 11:50 
Rail Meat

Hello, I'm a new Tartan 37 owner (1979) and I could use some advice on upgrades and getting her ready to sail around Florida this year. Hopefully I'm in the right place. I may also be looking for a sailing partner with local knowledge. I'm from the West Coast and am new to the FL sailing scene.

Cheers,

D.A.N.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Introduction
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2021 19:00 
Skipper

This is the right place. We got answers. Congratulations on a great boat.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2021 10:06 
Tactictian

Everybody has a”List”.

For starters,
You may want to replace the thru hulls with base plates if they are original, or partially frozen/ hard to operate..

Welcome to The Club.
Cheers.
Nick.
S/V Angela Mia
Hull #336
Lake Superior.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2021 15:04 
Tactictian

To clarify..
I meant seacocks.
I have this bad habit of referring seacocks - thru hulls interchangeably..

Cheers.
Nick.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2021 07:54 
Rail Meat

Is their an owners manual available for the 1979 T37? Or any other documentation?

I'm also looking at adding an autopilot and upgrading the nav electronics. Suggestions? It's set up for day sailing and I plan on doing mostly coastal trips with some island hopping.

Thank you.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2021 07:58 
Tactictian

Welcome aboard. This is the right place for Tartan 37 specific issues. Having said that, depending on the extent of your refit, you will definitely need to consult other sources for information. I used several other sources for things like electrical, electronics, structural, coatings, rigging, sails, etc. because, like many of us, my work has been extensive. This forum is great for seeing what solutions folks have come with that are specific to the T37 but don't limit yourself.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2021 17:01 
Rail Meat

Thankfully my boat is in really good shape. I purchased it from the original owner who took very good care of it. She is a day sailor so I need to do some upgrades for coastal and island sailing. I plan to keep her in FL for the season then truck her back home to the San Francisco Bay next year. Thank you all again for the help. I have already made some great contacts.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2021 17:18 
Tactictian

I have the original "Owner's Instructions" book. Nothing in it is really critical. There's also the original engine wiring and house wiring diagrams. These might be useful and you can find them on this site. The engine wiring is pretty much stock W40/50 from Westerbeke.

On autopilots, it really depends on what you want to do. These boats DO NOT WEIGH 16.5K pounds. That's a design dry weight and I have yet to hear of anyone getting remotely close to that. I am assuming 22,000 pounds loaded for cruising to size my next helm (a below deck unit). Currently, I have an old Raytheon ST4000+. It's fine for smooth water motoring or light helm sailing but it's not going to take you offshore or even be reliable for SF bay. Same is likely true for most wheel autopilots. Not enough power to steer in any seaway. Just make sure you know what your requirements are before you plunk down real money. Personally, I want my help to be powerful enough to steer in a real blow and smart enough to not crash jibe.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2021 09:31 
Skipper

Congratulations on the purchase.My first project was also to replace all thru hulls/valves after the head sink one broke off in my hand, luckily during my first haul. All done with Grocos and g10 backing plates. Autopilot I like the KISS principle, a CPT autopilot is great,made in USA,easy to fit,low power consumption and quiet. Built rugged,it just doesn’t interface with anything,that suits me fine. Also check the blog of Zack and Lindy on Holiday,now in Grenada? They love theirs. Enjoy your new purchase.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2021 10:08 
Rail Meat

Good advice, thank you. It has a fairly new Yanmar so I have that documentation. I was guessing 20,000 lbs for navigation reasons but I would be interested in other opinions.

It also has a leak in the port fresh water tank. Does anyone have experience with T37 fresh water tank replacement? It's under the port settee.

jfalsone wrote:
I have the original "Owner's Instructions" book. Nothing in it is really critical. There's also the original engine wiring and house wiring diagrams. These might be useful and you can find them on this site. The engine wiring is pretty much stock W40/50 from Westerbeke.

On autopilots, it really depends on what you want to do. These boats DO NOT WEIGH 16.5K pounds. That's a design dry weight and I have yet to hear of anyone getting remotely close to that. I am assuming 22,000 pounds loaded for cruising to size my next helm (a below deck unit). Currently, I have an old Raytheon ST4000+. It's fine for smooth water motoring or light helm sailing but it's not going to take you offshore or even be reliable for SF bay. Same is likely true for most wheel autopilots. Not enough power to steer in any seaway. Just make sure you know what your requirements are before you plunk down real money. Personally, I want my help to be powerful enough to steer in a real blow and smart enough to not crash jibe.

Profile Email