Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Introduction

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 08:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Re: Introduction
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2021 15:49 
Tactictian

Dave,

Go to the “ Custom Modifications” tab.
Look under the topic “ Leaky Portside Water Tank & Soft Cabin Sole “ by me back on July, 2020.
I have a portside water tank that is currently shut off and needs replacement. It’s on The List..

There’s some very helpful responses with photos.
Really good stuff.

I hope this helps.
Nick.
S/V Angela Mia
Lake Superior.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2021 03:58 
Rail Meat

Found it, thanks.

NP336 wrote:
Dave,

Go to the “ Custom Modifications” tab.
Look under the topic “ Leaky Portside Water Tank & Soft Cabin Sole “ by me back on July, 2020.
I have a portside water tank that is currently shut off and needs replacement. It’s on The List..

There’s some very helpful responses with photos.
Really good stuff.

I hope this helps.
Nick.
S/V Angela Mia
Lake Superior.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2021 13:26 
Skipper

Port tank replacement is a Ronco B470 HD , if you order it with a marina address the discount is significant .

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2021 16:56 
Rail Meat

Perfect, thanks. Do you know the other tank replacement? I should probably do both while I'm at it. I've seen a tanks replaced on a Youtube series. The tubing was pretty gross. I'm guessing the tanks are originals in the boat.

Timshel wrote:
Port tank replacement is a Ronco B470 HD , if you order it with a marina address the discount is significant .

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2021 14:53 
Skipper

When ours was last picked up by a crane, she weighed 20,000lbs with empty water and holding tanks but a 1/2 full diesel tank. So for me, ready to rumble, I'd say 21,000lbs.

YMMV.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2021 15:24 
Skipper

dnenni wrote:
Is their an owners manual available for the 1979 T37? Or any other documentation?

I'm also looking at adding an autopilot and upgrading the nav electronics. Suggestions? It's set up for day sailing and I plan on doing mostly coastal trips with some island hopping.

Thank you.

There is an owners manual, regrettably it is very poor. I am not sure if anyone has digitized it, but it will not tell you much. There is a rig diagram that could be useful. I can provide one with some difficulty if it has not been done.
I would second looking at the thru hull fitting and valves. The thru hull fittings were recessed outside the hull on my boat and, after 40 years, one had a pinhole leak. I believe that Tartan used ball valves on Groco through hull fittings (which present some issues covered elsewhere) because of clearance issues with the flooring in some places. I realize some folks do not like these ball valves, but I do--never had a failure of any kind--and I see no reason to penetrate the hull with bolts to secure a greased valve that is much more likely to corrode before it is yanked out by some force inside the boat. The plumbing ball valves sold in Home Depot that look very similar are NOT the marine type and should never be used on a boat.
You should peruse the technical pages of this site and previous blogs. I would be careful about tearing your boat apart before you have an issue to resolve. I believe you have a newly installed engine and a problem with your centerboard. Focus on issues as they come to you. These boats are generally better built than many and you can take your time so that you do things correctly by consulting these pages and some long term owners who post here.

Profile Email