Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - See a T37 in Texas?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 07:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: See a T37 in Texas?
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2020 18:25 
Rail Meat

Howdy y'all,

I'm in the market for a 36-42' boat. My armchair shortlist is down to a handful of models. The T37 is by far on top. Others are the Caliber 38 and a couple Pearson 36-38 footers.

I've never been on a Tartan 37, though I think I've watched every YouTube video featuring one (thanks Zach, Lauren & Kirk and Bill!). I'd like to see one in person before driving from Austin TX to Florida where the closest one listed on Yachtworld is.

--> Who here has a T37 in Texas and would kindly show me their boat for say half an hour and have a chat? For me to see how it feels, and to check if I fit (I'm just short of 6'3")?

Much appreciated!
Dirk

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: See a T37 in Texas?
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2020 21:18 
Skipper

Dirk,

I would love to show you our Tartan but she is no longer in Texas. I need to update my Fleet listing. I'm 6'1" and I don't have an issue with head room onboard.

We also looked at the Pearson 365 and the wife loved the interior but hated the mizzen mast being right in front of the companionway. Her only complaint about the Tartan is the restricted passage between the mast and the starboard settee.

We love our Tartan enough to do whatever it takes to bring her back to sailing condition after Hurricane Sally.

Attachment:
20200918_163256.jpg

20200918_163256.jpg [ 3.98 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2020 11:21 
Rail Meat

WayneH wrote:
I would love to show you our Tartan but she is no longer in Texas. I need to update my Fleet listing. I'm 6'1" and I don't have an issue with head room onboard.

We also looked at the Pearson 365 and the wife loved the interior but hated the mizzen mast being right in front of the companionway. Her only complaint about the Tartan is the restricted passage between the mast and the starboard settee.

We love our Tartan enough to do whatever it takes to bring her back to sailing condition after Hurricane Sally.

Wayne,

ouch, it hurts just looking at the photo. I hope you'll get her back in the water soon (and without major cost!).

Yes, the P365 is on my "gotta check it out" list. I am not sure about the ketch configuration... I hear a lot of praises about the flexibility it allows, though. Haven't sailed one and am hesitant about the added standing rigging and sail cost, and if I would be ready to take advantage of it given my current sailing experience level. So sloop or cutter it is!

As for the space between mast and starboard settee, is that different between the T37's with the starboard pilot berth vs the later option of storage in that area? The latter settee looks deeper, but not sure if that affects the space between it and the mast?

Thanks
Dirk

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2020 16:05 
Skipper

My Tartan still has the pilot berth. But I have seen pictures of owner modifications to turn the pilot berth into storage. Which is all we ever use the space for anyway.

As to the rudder, Tartan can still make a replacement rudder and skeg. The tangs in the rudder were bent in opposite directions. The admiral and I considered them damaged so we are going with the full replacement.

So a couple more pictures.
Attachment:
IMG_20200918_162443393.jpg

IMG_20200918_162443393.jpg [ 1.98 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

You can see how narrow this passage is. We bought some black polypropylene rope and wrapped the mast. No more cold metal on bare skin. This picture was taken after the hurricane. The yellow object at the top of the mast is hanging vertically. Shocked

Attachment:
IMG_20200921_120817983.jpg

IMG_20200921_120817983.jpg [ 1014.39 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

We thought we were just missing some gelcoat here above the waterline. But while I was cleaning out the stern so the repair guys wouldn't have to, I found out that Impetuous had been arm-wrestling the dock for a cleat. The cleat was inside the boat with its bolts still in the cleat base. Tough boats.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2020 13:48 
Skipper

If you are looking at a Pearson 365, you might note a couple things: 1. Look up the history of the V drives and servicing the the stuffing box.
2. Look up the PHRF of both. I am not sure what they are but I would guess they are not close.
I think that Pearsons of that era were nicely laid up glass and generally bullet proof. I just remember the boat being on my list and I almost bought one. But I didn't. 28 years ago.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2020 14:07 
Skipper

If you are looking at a Pearson 365, you might note a couple things: 1. Look up the history of the V drives and servicing the the stuffing box.
2. Look up the PHRF of both. I am not sure what they are but I would guess they are not close.
I think that Pearsons of that era were nicely laid up glass and generally bullet proof. I just remember the boat being on my list and I almost bought one. But I didn't. 28 years ago.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2020 09:09 
Rail Meat

Velera wrote:
If you are looking at a Pearson 365, you might note a couple things: 1. Look up the history of the V drives and servicing the the stuffing box. 2. Look up the PHRF of both. I am not sure what they are but I would guess they are not close.

Thanks for the tips! I've looked up the PHRF for the Tartan 37 (177) and the Pearson 365 Ketch (210). So the P365 is about 19% slower than the T37. That's considerable!

On another note, there seem to be very few decent T37's on the market (Yachtworld) at the moment. Hopefully that gets better during winter!

Dirk

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2020 14:07 
Tactictian

I counted about twenty boats on the market a couple of weeks ago. Average price about 43 grand. price spread was 30 to 60. That seems to be about the standard for the last couple of years.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2020 14:36 
Rail Meat

Zoombats wrote:
I counted about twenty boats on the market a couple of weeks ago. Average price about 43 grand. price spread was 30 to 60. That seems to be about the standard for the last couple of years.

That's good info for comparison, puts things into perspective for me. Thanks!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2020 16:45 
Skipper

Curiously, we were playing with a Pearson 365 Cutter in Rockland, Maine, before we bought the Tartan 37. The later cutters were called the P367. I like the cockpit, the hull layup and the enclosed shower in the P365. A friend had a Ketch. Matter of fact, his brother has one still. Good, heavy boat. BUT I despise V-drives and outward facing nav seats. I saw the double quarter berth & forward facing nav station on the T37 and said "that's it." The bulkhead tabbing is generally better on the Tartans as well, but there's pros and cons for both boats overall.

I've sailed Bristols, Pearsons, Jeanneaus, C&C's all up to 54' and . . . my Pearson 10M was the smallest I guess.

Profile Email