Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hull # 437

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 04:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Hull # 437
PostPosted: 22 May 2020 15:41 
Rail Meat

Hull 437 is under contract. Been power boating for the past 30 years, and now back to sailing. The beautiful lines got my wife. I said lets see what they go for. Survey next week.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hull # 437
PostPosted: 22 May 2020 23:49 
Skipper

Make sure you check:
The top edge of the bulkheads separating the V-berth from the salon are prone to water damage from the leaking forward hatch. I had to replace both of my bulkheads.

The short hose from the centerboard trunk to the mast step. Look for issues with the metal tubing on each end.

My support for the port forward stay was "dry set" and not completely bonded to the hull. The problem here is you have to remove the shelves in the head to see this.

My boat was a project that had not been sailed or maintained due to owner neglect so I had a few more issues to deal with. Like we changed the engine oil and filter about 5 times the first six months we had her. We drained and scrubbed the water tanks. We pumped most of the fuel out and saved it then polished the tank for 3 days. The motor mounts were replaced. Repacked the shaft. In the water using the string around the shaft trick to reduce the water flow. The port water had previously blown its outlet connection and the board covering it up was rotten. The head odor we finally tracked down to the cracked fittings on the black water tank.

But we fixed her up and we sail her. Although the last three months have been excruciating. In January, we hauled her out and had her bottom repainted. February it was a little too cold for the Admiral but March was going to be great. Then came Covid-19. And the stay at home orders for both here and at the marina. But next month, we're GOING SAILING!!!

Sorry. I tried to keep this about the boats.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 May 2020 17:21 
Rail Meat

Thanks for the pointers. Most recent boat was a 31 Tiara Open. Great power boat! Time for us to slow down and do some serious sailing. Been 40 years since sailing in Hawaii on a 25 Coronado. Did that for 12 years. Can't wait to get her home and start checking her out. Great website!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 May 2020 10:20 
Tactictian

Welcome aboard!
You have made an excellcent choice.
This forum is a great resource for all sorts of projects.

One thing to watch for are the Thru hulls- Seacocks.
Make sure that they operate freely, not frozen.
T37s are Good Old Boats, but there are 30-45 year old boats..

Best,
Nick
S/V Angela Mia
Hull # 336
Lake Superior.

Profile Email