Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Well, We're Getting Down to It

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 13:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Well, We're Getting Down to It
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2018 08:50 
Skipper

Wife and I spent a couple hours fondling the boat last night ('79 T37). She seems convinced, but hasn't waved her magic wand yet. I'm not pushing it. I managed to dig a few pounds of mussels and barnacles out of the centerboard trunk and everything seems to kinda look O.K. Even the chainplates, as far as I could dig around, seem to look O.K. except for a disconcerting hairline crack in the deck by the port forward lower. The rudder, while sound, is missing the skeg and has a pintle pin issue I'll have to rectify and slap in a new bearing. She needs all new portlights. Every one of them has cracks in it. Has a new water heater and Balmar alternator and radome on the backstay. More electronics than I need, but all mounted on the helm in the way of sight view. I never should have watched that youtube video of the total refit/gutting/repowering everything I found. Gave me the heebie jeebies. Did take a mass of photos, though, and based on what I've done in the past I'm comfortable and the seller is hot to deal. Almost time to print the W50 manual and start pulling this site apart for info.

Oh: did all of these boats come with a spliced mast?? Many, many of the photos I've seen of other boats (and on this one) the mast is spliced just below the spreaders. Cabo Rico used to do that on the 38 just because they couldn't ship full length spar sections to Costa Rica.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Well, We're Getting Down to It
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2018 16:37 
Skipper

My mast is spliced.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2018 07:11 
Skipper

Wife has to do one more crawl-thru this week, then we leave for the Virgin Islands for a week, keep the seller interested in dealing with me. She wants to know piddly things like yard costs, crane cost to unstep the mast, "how much is the new skeg" and "what if we want to put it in a shed for the winter so you can work on it?" Likewise "how much to bring it home the 15 miles and build a plastic cover over it?" Picky, picky.

I figure I'll own it about 2 weeks from day after tomorrow. Now, where's the yard's phone number?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2018 08:04 
Skipper

Sounds like you are getting close.

My mast is also split, most of the older ones are. I have a bad scratch on the deck from removing sealant from the chainplates, it looks like a crack, but isn't. You may have something like that.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018 15:21 
Skipper

I'll inspect the chainplate more closely. We're off to the V.I. at 6AM tomorrow (work, work), but back to the boat in Maine in a week to have a final go-round look through and think. Got all the yard info. Putting it in a shed for the winter is possible for around $1600 once the mast is unstepped. Room to work, electric. That would mean a spring run down the ditch and skip to Grenada by the end of June, normally. But we had a named storm in June this year, didn't we? Logistics are killing me.

Profile Email