Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - I'm Back . . .

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 04:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: I'm Back . . .
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018 16:38 
Skipper

I see my last post was just before Irmaria hit the Virgin Islands. No, I wasn't there at the time. Papa's new credo is "no hurricanes, no blizzards." But I'm back on the T37 warpath and plan to get it over with shortly and head back home to the V.I. from Maine. I think what I'm going to do is have the boat trucked to my home in Maine after I get any centerboard issues dealt with in the travel lift. Man, I'd like to get out of here and into the ditch by Nov. 1, but that may be overly optimistic. Eating up everything I can get my hands on on this site.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: I'm Back . . .
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018 23:17 
Skipper

Are you thinking of starting south from Maine around Nov 1? That's sounding chilly, we leave Va Nov 1 and last year was a bit cool for us. Had to ride a NE'er offshore, said we weren't stopping till it hit 70.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2018 06:58 
Skipper

Like I said, overly optimistic. Druther leave in October, watch Africa closely. Besides, I haven't missed deer season in Maine in 50 years. Spend my time ridge running. Beautiful time of year. Just an excuse to disappear into the woods for a couple weeks.

How soon I get out will be dictated by how soon I get elbow deep in Westerbekes, rigging, rudders and centerboards. I'm not sure I'm going to jump on this hull yet, but it certainly is convenient, just down the road a few miles from the house. Probably within the next 2 weeks we'll see.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2018 07:38 
Skipper

I'm not certain there will be centerboard issues, but only a hydraulic trailer in the yard. I've looked at several T37's and all differ in many respects. This one is blocked and the centerboard is stuffed with 3 year old dried out mussels and barnacles. On another hull sitting on similar blocking, I looked at a very clean, nicely done up hinge pin system with plates either side of the centerboard. This one I can't see a thing, and, if nothing else, I'd want to replace the pennant appropriately, check the pennant tube and connections, clean out the trunk and spray some bottom paint up in there after proper prep.

IF I do this, I'll take copious documentation photos. I've done this (non centerboard) several times before, from 21' to 53', sail and power. Refits are a disease, and I'm too picky. I once had a 34' center console, a Pearson 10M and a Bristol 35 Yawl all in the yard in the Virgin Islands at one time for total refits. Did a 50' Navy Utility done up as a "Maine Lobster Boat" in California several years ago. Google "Uniflite Navy Utility" and the beast - the one with a tuna tower - comes up. The photos are after I cut a 3' hole in the bow at the waterline to deal with previous owner's concrete dock attack. She come out pretty good, but I don't want that kind of project ever again. Wish I had that boat in the Caribbean, but too long a drive for the old 671 (and me). She was sold, now crabbing dungeoness out of San Francisco.

Profile Email