Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hello all from Hull 206

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 07:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Hello all from Hull 206
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2017 21:46 
Rail Meat

Tartan Hello everyone. I am relatively new to the group having purchased my T37 in June of 2017. Hull 206 is a 1979 centerboard T37 previously named Zephra. After appropriate admonitions to Neptune/Poseidon when removing the old name, casting overboard a degradable item with that name, and a little rum, I was able to spend two days with oven cleaner, rubbing compound, and 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper removing the name from the transom. Then, with further pleas to the gods of the four winds and Neptune/Poseidon and a little more rum, the new name Resolute was squarely affixed in Coast Guard approved lettering heights also showing her new harbor of Newburyport MA.

Together, Resolute and I had the best summer of my fifty two years. We took each other on in measured doses of increasing levels of ambition. I made many mistakes, but most of them only once, and none of them causing permanent harm. I took the stance of learning her before changing anything. Her prior owner had cared for her with loving attention for several decades and was kind in leaving nearly everything on board for me to explore and use.

Over the summer I took on the various items found in the survey in order of importance, balanced by cost and time required. She is in great shape with no serious safety issues, but there were numerous little things to repair and replace.

Now it's winter and time for the larger projects. Job one is to get the stink out of the boat so my wife will be more likely to join me more often. I'm focusing on the plumbing and am replacing first all the raw water hoses as well as the joker valve and other maintenance items on the head. The vent and flush lines on the holding tank are being replaced with fragrance impregnable hose. A few dollars more is worth it there. The fresh water hoses are proving to be a challenge. Their route from the head to the centerline of the bilge is via some inaccessible areas under the toilet and port settee through some larger corrugated hoses. I've freed them on both ends, but they won't budge. It's possible that they are just too cold right now to be flexible enough to bend. Seeing as how it's 5ºF outside right now, I will put that part on hold. If you have tackled that job and have some advice, I'd gladly take it.

The faucet in the head was original and leaked through every place it could. I've taken it apart and replaced all the o-rings and faucet washers and gave it a thorough cleaning and it looks great and feels tight. I replaced the cheap plastic handles with some heavier stainless ones that feel good in hand. This seems like a better solution than replacing the fixture with a plastic one from Whale that appears to be made to last two years at most.

Resolute is part of a five year (ish) plan. Year one is done with short day sails and one cruise lasting three days and two nights. This coming summer I plan to spend as much time aboard as possible, working from the boat, and taking a few cruises of a few weeks each up and down the coast of New England. Year three should see a trip to Bermuda. Year four the Caribbean. Year five is when I plan to head out the mouth of the Merrimac, and leave with no set plan to return. Between now and then I have a lot to learn, but already I am encouraged. She is solid, sea kindly and far faster than I imagined. In the one race I competed in this summer we had a dreadful start. I was over ambitious in my positioning, and risked pissing off the fleet so instead took a turn around behind the fleet starting near the rear of the pack. I then enjoyed passing every one of them and crossing the line well ahead of the nearest competitor. With our rating we scored third place, then that night, they had my rating changed to drop us to fifth. No worries. I would much rather have a fast boat than a trophy.

Sorry for the long post. I've been enjoying reading all your comments and helpful advice to each other these last six months or so, and out of courtesy, kept my big yap shut until I learned more of the styles and temperament. I'll be more brief going forward on questions and answers, but just wanted to say thank you for being such a wonderful community.

Regards,

Ward Caswell
"Resolute"

Attachments:
File comment: Resolute
IMG_2669.jpg
IMG_2669.jpg [ 2.77 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Resolute #206
Newburyport, MA

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hello all from Hull 206
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2017 22:03 
Skipper

Welcome and congratulations! These are some sweeeet boats we own.

My bad start on a race was getting to the start line about 7 minutes late and being the second boat around the first mark. We didn't win that race either after we were handicapped out. Rats. But it is nice to know that passages take less time because the of our speed.

The biggest trick I have is when you finish something on your "to do" list, scratch it out and write it in on the bottom of the list. And yeah, when you get back to it, it'll need doing again.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2017 07:13 
Rail Meat

Thanks. I keep my To Do in Excel with priorities and references to the survey items. When an item is complete I mark the date in a "completed" column and usually show the list filtered by blanks in that column. It's true. Some jobs are on their third time already!

I did a bad thing this week, adding estimated cost and time required columns to the list and putting in what I thought each task would take. The totals are daunting. The list does include some things like SSB, Watermaker, new dodger and Bimini etc. which hike it up, and I know I could live without those things, even if I take off full time, but still, I would feel better with them. So I use it as encouragement to get back to work and make some money so I can get it all done before year five of the plan hits!

Happy New Year.

Resolute #206
Newburyport, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2017 09:42 
Skipper

Welcome Ward! One thing I did recently was replace the actual thru hull vent from the holding tank. The old one had 2 screened metal downward facing holes. They were mostly permanently clogged not allowing good ventilation and causing the system to almost implode during pump outs. I replaced with a regular plastic straight thru hull. The head works much better now and there is literally no smell in the boat.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2018 15:44 
Rail Meat

Thanks Zach,

I tested my holding tank vent by removing the hose from the tank size and blowing out. It wasn't clogged, but I did note that the screens are missing. I'll replace those.

I had a problem with a tank vent a few years ago. I had a Boston Whaler Outrage which had replaced a Montauk. The newer boat had a four stroke 115HP versus the older 90HP two stroke. I loved how quite it was. My habit was to fill the fuel tank each time after using if I had done more than a quick turn around the harbor. I was always amazed at how little fuel it used. The fuel gauge always read full and it would only take a few gallons, even if I had been out cruising around for hours. One fine day I took a friend out fishing. We got ambitious on a nice calm day and headed to Isle of Shoals, about 15 miles distant. The engine started running rough as we approached the island, and then died altogether. We checked the obvious items including the fuel filter and water separator. Long story short, was we were out of gas. The fuel tank vent had remnants of a wasps nest in it, and the fuel gauge was broken. Thank goodness for Boat US memberships. They bought us a few gallons of gas and followed us in. The repairs were simple and I felt lucky to learn that lesson without getting in real trouble.

For what it's worth, the Whaler was a great boat, but I sold her after getting the Tartan. Between the Tartan, her dinghy, a Swampscott dory I built a few years, ago, and the whaler, it was just too many boats to take care of.

Today I completed a refinishing of a few interior panels on Resolute. Watco is the original finish according to the original manual, so a thorough cleaning, sanding and application of Watco sure looks good! Over time, I'll do the entire interior.

Attachments:
dmUWuo4hS6uxSo7GuiBLQQ.jpg
dmUWuo4hS6uxSo7GuiBLQQ.jpg [ 1.96 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
RyXevb60TnaIjIEX%A2eow.jpg
RyXevb60TnaIjIEX%A2eow.jpg [ 1.82 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Resolute #206
Newburyport, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2018 12:41 
Skipper

Hi Ward,good purchase! I replumbed mine with pex,fairly simple,used the ‘plastic’ fittings and stainless crimp rings.
My holding tank vent smelled at times so I made a filter, 2” plastic with caps glued on and filled with activated charcoal from a pet shop.Put this in line and problem solved.Presently busy buying chartbooks etc,headed south with no fixed plan or timeline this summer!! Bruce.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2018 20:54 
Rail Meat

Hi and welcome Ward,

I just replaced my fresh water lines as well. The lines behind/under the water tanks were inside the foam injected to hold the tanks in place. I ended up cutting them and leaving them in the foam, I had to reroute them but they work fine. Same with the ones under the shower sump, I was able to fish some new ones through before I cut the old ones out. There are still some pieces of hose left behind. I also considered the pex but ended up using the flexible stuff.

On the holding tank, I had a terrible time getting rid of the funk. Turned out the vent hose was partially plugged and wasn't allowing it to breathe properly. I held a hose up to the outside of the vent and flushed it back into the tank and it hasn't smelled since. Good luck!

Brad
Luego, Hull#227

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2018 17:19 
Skipper

The quality of the sanitation hose is very important. I found that Raritan flexible was the way to go. Cut the old out, you can add access ports of needed to help pulling in the new hoses. Double check the tank for leaks near the fittings and inspection port. Took many years, but we are odor free. Look at the installation, hoses sitting full of black water will stink after time. We put new head, tank and hoses a few years ago and couldn't be happier. If get a new head, buy the bigger bowl size.

We replumb the boat FW system, that was pretty easy, but I also had the port water tank out.

We do very well racing in the local races. It's a easy boat to get rolling, 10-15 knots upwind we shine.

Make the list, but remember that you eat an elephant one bite at a time.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2018 12:57 
Skipper

This thread may be turning into a smell reduction theme, but after you do all you are talking about—I would recommend that you take advantage of the plumbing of your T37 to rid yourself of the smell. If you flush the head regularly with fresh water and NEVER leave the thing full of salt water for more than a day or two and if you can get folks to be sure to flush it well (not just to the point that the pee and poo disappears) you will have a sweet smelling boat. You are probably right to replace stuff if the previous owner let stuff sit in it, but fresh water flush is the key. Just fill the sink with the sink through hull fitting closed and pump the head with the head discarge open. The sink water (you can even use left over wash water if you are cruising) I believe most Tartans came from the factory with this arrangement of plumbing for a reason.
My head does not smell and i have had my boat for 26 years. I have put high quality sanitary hose, but I am not convinced that did anything.

Ray Durkee
T37 #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2018 15:20 
Tactictian

I also re-plumbed the sanitation system with trident sanitation hose, boat still had odor until I started using Fresh Water to flush. I read somewhere the hose odor is from decaying micro organisms in the salt water dying among other things.
Anyway, I had to replace holding tank due to a leak at lower 1 1/2" outlet, found direct replacement at Plasticwatertanks.com in Calif. They were great to work with, new tank $195.00. and fast delivery to NY. Good luck with your boat, we have had ours three seasons, going on four, have done quite a bit of work on her, but worth it, great sailing boat ! I like your sailing plans also, hope to see you in the NE.
Todd McCarthy
Hull#439 Cheers
s/v Bleu Moon

Hull #439

Profile Email