Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hull #336 Coming on Board

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 14:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Hull #336 Coming on Board
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2017 11:40 
Tactictian

Greetings to all T37s out there.
We signed an acceptance letter and will be closing soon on hull #336.
We will be shipping the boat to Lake Superior. Land of the Free, home of the Frozen.
So a shout out to all you Lake Superior sailors...

I love the S&S design, classic lines and yes, all that teak. It fits my style.
Followed this site for years while looking at T37s and tried ( but failed) steering a buddy to a T37.

This is my first sailboat. I have day sailed a few times on two T37s and never looked back.
Although I have my bareboat certification, about 1/2 of my sailing experience has been racing/ crew. Perhaps a T37 may be too much boat for a first time boat, I just don't have the runway to start out small, and trade up.

I lost out on one T37 in a bidding war, yes, a bidding war. Can you believe it.
Had to defer on another beautiful T37 to take care of some heart ( electrical) issues. Came very close last year on another, but the seller wouldn't agree to a few critical survey issues.
For awhile I thought Neptune was trying to tell me something...
I'll be having a USCG Captain train me and my wife on the boat systems, sailing, anchoring, etc.
This site also played into my boat decision. The dedication you all have to your boats, willingness to share info and help others is nothing short of amazing!
Almost cult like.

I would greatly appreciate any advice /words of wisdom, such as useful tools, upgrades, etc for a first time T37 boat owner.

Best regards,
Nick.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hull #336 Coming on Board
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2017 17:10 
Midshipman

Welcome! No doubt you will enjoy the boat!
We have do a handful of projects on ours each season. Since shes hull #4 and was used and abused for years on the Chesapeake as a Charter, we clearly have a lot on our plate... But we keep it manageable so there is enjoyment each season. It doesn't all have to get done at once, so prioritize!
I am sure you will find answers to a lot of questions on here just by searching old threads. Some neat ideas can be taken from others.
-Kent
"Skybird"

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017 12:16 
Skipper

Welcome aboard from one of the older members of this group. I have owned my T37 for 25 years and can tell you that you will not find a better, more pleasurable boat to sail for any amount of money. I was a delivery skipper for many years and have had the opportunity to sail many different boats over significant distances and many conditions. There may be some better to serve as cocktail barges or perform dinghy races, but for overall cruising, I have yet to find anything comparable--really at any price point.
I think your plan to hire a USCG guy to get you started is a great idea (and keep track of your time and consider someday getting a license of your own--the training is helpful and the license lowers your insurance rates). Also, maybe he can help you learn the systems--or hire a seasoned mechanic to help you take stuff apart and fix it yourself. As you know, folks on this site (and the technical sections) will be very helpful.
Welcome. i am a bit jealous as I grew up on the Great Lakes, but have never sailed there.

Ray Durkee
T37 #373
Castine Maine

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017 19:31 
Tactictian

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Ray,
Minnesota is like Maine, without the lobster...
Regards.
Nick.

Profile Email