Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Intro and Shipping

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 06:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Intro and Shipping
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016 16:37 
Rail Meat

My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a Tartan 37. The boat is currently on Lake Michigan and we sail on Lake Erie out of Sandusky. We would love to sail her home but life gets in the way.

Anyway, my questions it this; We contracted with a shipper to haul the boat to Sandusky. We specifically requested and were assured that the shipper's trailers had racks to hold the mast while shipping. Now the shipper is telling us that he will be using a new hydraulic trailer without a rack for the mast. He is telling us that the mast will be strapped to the top of the boat. I can't see how this would work. Does anyone have recent experience shipping and know if it is feasible to ship the mast strapped on the deck of the boat?

My broker is telling me it will not work. I have not direct experience.

Thanks in advance.
Kevin Miller

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Intro and Shipping
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016 18:52 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hello,

I purchased my boat in the lower states and delivered it back to lake Ontario myself. When I hit the Erie Canal, I pulled the mast, made a few supports, one at the bow, in the middle and at the stern, tied it down good and had no issues what so ever.

I priced shipping it to Canada and it was too expensive, one shipper said with the mast being over 50 feet he needed special permits which were an additional cost.... but not an issue and can be done quite easily.

If it helps..

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016 12:25 
Midshipman

Where in Michigan is it located?
I used Joule transport to get ours from Maryland to Toledo. The mast was racked down low directly on the trailer and the max boat height was lower than the spoiler on Semi tractor. So I could see it as possible to put the mast up there, but I would not want them to bear any weight on the Bow or stern pulpits, so securing it there would be tough. With the mast at deck level, it has to hang out the side a bit and wont be supported well at the forward end (and possibly the stern) of the boat unless they have racking that will accommodate that.
Make sure you get some other quotes, as I would prefer to have the mast down low myself.
I put pictures somewhere on the forum of the "Skybird" on the trailer as she arrived in Toledo.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016 12:32 
Midshipman

download.php?id=777&f=6

Here's the picture of her arrival on trailer. Tartan

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2016 10:35 
Rail Meat

Thanks for the quick replies. We have the shipper looking for another trailer to haul the boat. What I have heard is that the mast can be shipped on top of the boat but it is not the best choice and a carefully constructed set of brackets need to be constructed. Seems easier and safer to put the mast on brackets made for it.

Thanks
Kevin

Profile Email