Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - New to the game but excited

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 18 Apr 2024 18:22

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: New to the game but excited
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2016 16:05 
Rail Meat

Hello all,

I'm actively searching for the next one, and the Tartan 37 keeps coming up. I have yet to hear from a current or past owner that didn't rave about the boat. From the way she looks, sails and treats her owner and crew. All positive! My search has taken me from Morgan 38's, Sabre 38's (can't afford), Ericson 38's and even older Alberg 37's. The Tartan has now jumped to the top of the list. Does somebody need to talk me off the ledge or am I pointing in the right direction?
We're based in Newburyport, MA and plan to mostly daysail her with a few extended cruises thrown in. Any input while my search is actively ongoing would be appreciated. What to look for? What to avoid, etc. Any and all input is welcome. I don't need a ton of room, but want to comfortably fit the four of us overnight.

Thanks in advance,

Christian Sava

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: New to the game but excited
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2016 21:12 
Skipper

First, let me say I love my Tartan.

Problems we found on our 1980 model. The port forward lower stay was attached to a bulkhead that was not secured to the hull. Check the bulkheads on both sides of the v-berth. This is where leakage from the forward hatch causes damage. If you find damage on one side, you probably have damage to both sides and you will need to reseal the forward hatch and replace both bulkheads. You should reseal the forward hatch anyway as it will start to leak due to the hull flexing under sail.

When we bought our Tartan, the centerboard was broken off. This is not a crisis. First, you can get a replacement from Tartan still. Second, the boat performs nicely without a centerboard. It won't race well without it but she still sails.

Our short list also included the Pearson 365. But we did not like the mizzen mast being right in front of the companionway hatch.

We've had our baby for 4 years and we wouldn't trade her in for nothing.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2016 22:00 
Rail Meat

Thanks Wayne,

I appreciate the insight and certainly something to consider when looking for the right boat. One of my biggest fears was the fact that most of the boats I have searched for have the c/b. I dont know why, but thought they would just create more problems and thought a fixed keel was superior. I'm rethinking that, however.

Thanks,

Christian

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2016 08:59 
Skipper

Hey Christian, I'm a couple years into ownership, and Ive been outfitting for live aboard cruising that is starting this fall. I considered similar boats to your list and also never really wanted a center board. I ended up choosing Holiday based on the condition of the boat and not necessarily just because it was a Tartan. I am extremely happy with the choice and Tartan 37s I'm general. The boat sails awesome with the board up, points really well, and has better shoal draft than most. I like the fact that we could put the board down for improved pointing but rarely do (like never). We are just going to be 2, but there is plenty of room for 4 for anything but long cruises. I guess you could find a boat with more room but that would also add more expense and complications most instances.

In terms of expensive things that I've spent money on that you may want to have a surveyor check:
The rudder pintle may need replaced if it has never been done.
Standing rigging could need replaced (this goes for any older boat)
Hose that penant goes through under mast may need replaced (usually requires a crane to lift the mast)
Hose attached to stuffing box and where shaft exits hull may need changing. If so, coupler may be rusted to shaft, requiring replacement of all (this goes for any older boat)

Those are a few of the things I've done off the top of my head. If you have a yard do them, each one is a thousand or three. More of a list that applies to any older boat.

I haven't had any problems with my bulk heads, and while I'm changing my chain plates, none were in seriously bad condition when I pulled them.

If you find a Tartan in good condition, buy it. This forum has helped me imeasurably immeasurably as I've worked through the above maintenance. If I think of other things, will post up.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2016 21:32 
Rail Meat

Zach,

All good information. Thanks for sharing. Those certainly sound like items related to many different boats, so that, in itself is not too concerning. I really need to get on some of these boats to compare. The centerboard did concern me, but as I hear from other owners, my fears may have been unfounded. If she looks good, sails well, is reliable, and seaworthy, what's not to love?
I will check back soon with thoughts and impressions from boarding some of these boats.

Thanks again,

Christian

Profile Email