Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - T37 in marina south side of Morris Canal Basin

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 18 Apr 2024 15:22

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: T37 in marina south side of Morris Canal Basin
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2016 15:37 
Rail Meat

By way of introduction ...

I'm recently retired and interested in coastal cruising along the East Coast. Among the steps taken thus far are completing ASA 101(last summer) and joining a sailing club, which will allow me to sail a whole lot this season. My sailing experience before doing the course was long ago, done mostly on lakes. But, I've spent many years surfing down in Jersey and on Long Island and have been comfortable in the ocean since I was four. Over the past couple of years, I've been reading and studying a lot ... Chapman P&S, Slocum, Moitessier, Chichester, Pardeys, etc. As a child in the 60s, I used to pore over my dad's copy of Heyerdahl/Kon Tiki, selectively reading, looking at the pictures and being spellbound by the whole idea!

All of that has led me here, to the Tartan forum! Naturally, I've been following the market in used boats and also made frequent use of sailboatdata.com to become familiar with the various designs. After lots of looking, I felt that the T37 would meet my needs and perform well as a coastal cruiser/semi-liveaboard. Although mostly seen in photos, I've spotted a couple in NY harbor while riding the SI Ferry. It's a beautiful design, and, if reviews in yachting publications are any indication, sails well and is conducive to shorthanding. At the moment, I am aiming to be in the market for a T37 by this time next year, after wife and I downsize and relocate out of the city.

And, finally, to the subject line! While day sailing in the harbor/lower Hudson last summer, we motored into the Morris Canal Basin where there are marinas on the north and south sides. In one slip, close to the canal on the south side, was a very nice looking T37. So, I thought it might be worth a shot to see if the owner of that boat is here on the forum. If that were the case, and you were so inclined, I would be grateful for an opportunity to have a look and/or crew. There's only so much to be gained from books and the like, so I'm looking to log some sailing hours.

If you've gotten this far, thanks for reading! I look forward to learning more from the forum and would be happy to hear from anyone in the general vicinity.

Tom 'Sully' Sullivan

Profile Email