Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Recpmmendations/ buying a T37.

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 09:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Recpmmendations/ buying a T37.
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007 15:25 
Rail Meat

Hi
I made the jump a few years ago to a little 32 foot trawler from my old Pearson 10m. However, I have changed my mind and am now thinking about going back to sail. Fickle , fickle... I have always liked the Tartan 37.. are there any particular years to avoid ? Are there any weak points that need particular attention in a survey? Fully cored boats are a concern as well as 25 year old diesels .. anyone have any recommendations for a good T37 surveyor in the LI Sound area? I would probably go for a 3 blade feathering prop and since I don't plan to race any more I'd stick to a genoa no bigger than a 135. My I letting myself in for a dog? Is it worth sticking to boats built only after 1985? I had moved out of sailing orginally because of arthritis but Aleve seems to have helped and while youthful agility is gone I think I can get around reasonably well but am concerned with decending the swim ladder and trying to hook the dinghy with a big toe .. if you have solved a similar problem I'd love to hear about your solution.
What electric windlass seems to fit best in forepeak? Any and all comments/recommendations much appreciated. Thank you .. Greg Rolling Eyes Mail

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Recpmmendations/ buying a T37.
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007 16:26 
Skipper

Hi Greg --

I bought hull # 118 fin keel a couple years ago, layed up in 1978. Rainbow was a two owner boat; the second owner since 1980. He took excellent care of the boat, and at survey and since, she has been a problem free boat. The hull is sound, with no sign of blisters or core problems. The engine (a Westebeke 40) has 2500 hrs and purrs like a kitten. I just replaced the original equipment motor mounts, shaft coupling and shaft, and replaced the stuffing box with a PSS, and now she runs even better, with less vibration.

I'm certain that no one who has ever owned these boats would ever call them dogs... they are sweet sailing cruising boats with a comfortable ride, point well, and can take a pounding. A few have had some oil canning of the port side topsides where the forward shroud chain plate attaches, and you should look closely at the stem head fitting for cracks.

I'll have to look at my windless to see what brand it is, but it works great (vertical drum style).

I'm sure your mileage may vary from boat to boat, but if you locate a well cared for boat such as mine, buy it!

-- Jay

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007 14:57 
Skipper

Welcome to the forum and good luck on the search. High Flight's furling main would be a great option for you but I doubt it's very common. (haven't seen another like her yet.)

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2007 06:09 
Skipper

Greg, Good luck with your search....I don't htink you'll be disappointed with the T-37, I've had miine for twelve years now and really find her to be a well rounded boat with good stability and sailing performance. I have a Quick brand windlass, Antilles model. This is a vertical windlass that fits nicely in the forpeak and is priced competively through on-line sources.
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2007 14:34 
Midshipman

Hi Greg, I have a 1979 T37 with an electric Lewmar Concept windlass. The Lewmar has been trouble free. Besides the shroud chain plates, I'd focus on the rudder and centerboard. The rudder bearings need to be checked and the rudder (internal frame) is prone to corrosion due to water infiltration. The centerboard pin and pad eye are also subject to failure due to corrosion. Blistering can also be an issue if the hull has not been epoxy coated. The T37s sailing characteristics are very good, particularly for a sailboat of this vintage. Jay.

Profile Email