Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - New Introduction

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 13 Apr 2021 21:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: New Introduction
PostPosted: 18 May 2014 12:08 
Skipper

I bought Lunacy last September - Hull #198, formerly known as Vanora. I'll try to attach a new image of the vessel for the Gallery that I took from the dingy while anchored off Ft Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas this past Wednesday. The one-week, round trip from Tampa to Garden Key and back marked the end of a lot work. The trip itself was a lot of work for the three of us as a late season cold front went through and we had 30 knot winds and 8 to 10-foot breaking waves all night Tuesday. The race to Key West last week had 27 entries and only 13 boats finished.

Here is the history of the last eight months:
When I first saw the boat , the board was hanging by the pennant. All 6 bolts had broken off. I dove the boat and secured the board with lines to the rail. The in-water survey looked good, but on the way to the yard to haul out, the engine overheated pretty bad. However, the complete survey didn't show any major flaws and after a month in the yard for bottom work, new seacock for future A/C and centerboard repair, she ventured to her new home at DIYC in downtown Tampa, FL.

It took 6 weeks to fix the leaking injector pump, pull exhaust manifold / heat exchanger and get the engine running well. Now the boat can motor at 7 knots (Martec 2-blade folding prop) and temp stays at 180.

Adler Barbour refrigeration was added - works great and uses very little electricity. The house bank is only two group 27s and the solar panels on the davits keep up even with cabin fans running - amazing.

The holding tank was home made and the hoses and system smelled, so I removed everything except the bowl. I added the 35 gallon Ronco tank mentioned on this site as it was the best option short of a custom made roto-mold tank. I used Poly-X hose (expensive, but guaranteed for life) heat-bent PVC Sch 40 for the near horizontal runs from the tank and Dometic Sealand waste pump with 2 Y-valves to allow waste to go over offshore from bowl or tank, or vac removal from the tank.

The bimini leaked bad even after two coats of the Sunbrella sealant, so canvas was changed from green to Captain's Navy blue. My First Mate Linda did an excellent, professional job recovering the interior cushions (all 18).

The top end of the binnacle needed service. The shifter was near frozen (as were the bolts to take the housing apart) and the brake didn't work. There were many other small maintenance projects and the offshore trip to Tortugas marked the end of most of the 'to do' list. It was a hard ride, but the boat performed beautifully. The last major project will be to add a 18K BTU Ocean Breeze A/C system this Summer.

I thank all the contributors of this site as their postings and images have been very useful. I hope I can contribute and return something of value in exchange for all I have learned here. Thank you all. Linda and I love the boat. We've done some overnights and look forward years of pleasure aboard.

Dave Lorick
SV Lunacy #198

Attachments:
Lunacy anchored Tortugas 2014.JPG
Lunacy anchored Tortugas 2014.JPG [ 1.32 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: New Introduction
PostPosted: 19 May 2014 11:10 
Skipper

Congrats, sounds like you have been busy. We just replaced our holding tank and hoses yesterday. Couldnt belive I found a fit just off the shelf at a West Marine! Toast

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 May 2014 20:23 
Skipper

Welcome aboard Dave & Lunacy!
Looks like you've had a bumpy start with a few hiccups, but hopefully, things will smooth out and you'll have fair winds. I'm sitting on Tortuga's Lie right now sipping some good rum and wishing I was in the Dry Tortugas watching the sunset over Fort Jefferson............... Cheers

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2014 10:18 
Skipper

Speaking of the fort, we had squalls at dawn that limited visibility as we entered the park. After a night of 10 foot seas it was a welcome change. As the Sun came up and things cleared, a buddy reported a freighter dead ahead that must be anchored. I told him that's Fort Jefferson - it is huge.

Attachments:
Lighthouse Ft Jeff 2.JPG
Lighthouse Ft Jeff 2.JPG [ 1.09 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2014 07:42 
Skipper

A lot of bricks in that there fort!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2015 07:00 
Skipper

It was kind of sudden, but a couple boats from DIYC have been preparing for a trip to the Dry Tortugas this Saturday and they begged us to join them, so with only a few nights to prep, we're heading back. We should be anchored off this fort again by Sunday afternoon. There is always something the boat needs, but we sail her once a week, so she's in pretty good shape.

It looks like light wind and a lot of motoring. Last year it was a second reef and #3 half furled and we had to leave early with a cold front approaching. As long as the persistent high keeps the fronts to the North, we should have a nice trip.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2015 17:46 
Skipper

We got back as scheduled with no major issues, but on this trip I learned a old saying that is new to me: "Cruising is defined as working on your boat in exotic places". Lunacy came through better than the other two boats we were traveling with though.

It was great fun cruising in a pack. We kept in touch through the night on passage and got together each sunset for dinner at the fort. I attached a few pics. The Dry Tortugas is a beautiful place. The water can go from 50' to 5' and it shows in the diverse color. We fished, snorkled and explored, dinking over to Loggerhead Key one day. What a pretty place...

If I post a trip again, I'll try to find a more suitable place than Introductions....

Attachments:
View of Fort from Loggerhead dock.jpg
View of Fort from Loggerhead dock.jpg [ 123.02 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
Dingy Beach on Loggerhead.jpg
Dingy Beach on Loggerhead.jpg [ 110.43 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
Cruising partners.JPG
Cruising partners.JPG [ 1.31 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
Sunset dinners at the Fort.jpg
Sunset dinners at the Fort.jpg [ 46.28 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
3 Amigos.JPG
3 Amigos.JPG [ 1.34 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2015 12:28 
Skipper

No worries. "Changes in Latitude" or "Sea Stories" would fit down the road.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email