Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - New owner

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 06:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: New owner
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2019 19:23 
Rail Meat

Hi we are new to the Tartan owners group. Purchased a Tartan 37 hull #66. Have been working through all of the kinks so far the only major issue has been a soft rudder. Having said that the folks at Tartan have been great. Should have the new rudder in place by the end of April..

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: New owner
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2019 18:43 
Skipper

Welcome and congratulations. Great boats that often need updating and babying, but I love 'em. Several of the regulars here seem to be in the Bahamas at the moment, and I'm 1000 miles south of them, boatless (mine's in a shed in Maine). Exploit what you can of this site. Anything you can think of has already been done, and there's a world of information here. Congratulations again.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019 09:12 
Skipper

Who are you getting to help you at Tartan? I had trouble dealing with them. Maybe I was contacting the wrong person. Would love to know who to ask for.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019 17:53 
Skipper

Somebody named Chris. He initially told me the skeg I needed would have to be fabricated. But he found one in the shop later in the day and had it to me 2 days later. He also told me that spec showed a delrin washer below the bushing and a delrin washer at the top between hull and top of rudder.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2019 20:37 
Midshipman

Hi Billdig! Congrats and welcome! I also own a T37 with hull number #66. I have seen this come up on the forum once before where two owners had the same hull numbers, not sure if they figured that out or not, but it may indicate that there are more of our boats out there than published!

#66 Splash

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2019 06:01 
Midshipman

My rudder was soft from saturation. My page marcthesailor@blogspot.com has extensive pics.

-Cut skeg off
-dropped the rudder.
-Cut open the starboard side
-Clean out inside well
-Re-glass the cutout and reinforce the leading edge of rudder
-had a new rudder pintle fabricated out of high quality stainless and added gussets on the underside for added strength (as mine had a slight downward bend from pressure)
-drilled holes and re-filled rudder with solid cell marine foam ($400/gal)
-installed rudder
-***RE-Glass skeg back in place (new skeg not necessary unless the original had been badly damaged in a collision.)
Better than new.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2019 08:30 
Skipper

Marcthesailor.blogspot.com

Anyway, is that dark blue painted or gelcoat? I just did the rudder over the weekend. Cut, dig, foam, spooge, glass, primer, reassemble. Need to get on the hull and get the hidey holes behind the rudder done before installation . . . I just remembered I plan to foam the skeg and glass the cave over, if only for the sake of keeping wildlife out. Thanks for reminding me.

Did you add a layer of glass to your hull? I have to smile, my boat's blue gelcoat, same oil filled heater down below.

Profile Email