Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - New member

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 03:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: New member
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015 14:03 
Rail Meat

I would like to first thank everyone who has built this site, keeps it up and running, and all the folks who share their knowledge with the rest of us. We are a long way from any supply houses and not to many large sail boats, so this form has been a great partner.
We bought our T37c in 09, after a long affair with an Oday240. Our home port is Joe Wheeler State Park in Alabama. Joe Wheeler Lake is part of the TVA system on the Tennessee River that consists of dams and locks. This allows a large amount of commerce to travel on barges. In addition to other rivers, we are connected to the Tombigbee water way which is around a 500 mile run to Mobil bay AL. Travel is restricted vertically because of the low fixed bridges. Joe Wheeler is the host in late October and early November, for the Great Loppers.
I have completed a few of the many projects I have planned for Meant To Be, and see that many of us have or are planning to do some of the same upgrades. I would have done one or two differently knowing what I know now, but happy with most. I removed the port side water tank and installed a 1600 BTU reverse cycle air conditioner, would do this again same way. I put a shelf attached to the hull with an air tight box that will hold the standard 20lb propane tank in the starboard cockpit locker, draining any lost gas down and out the stern, worked out well and would do it same way. I increased the battery capacity to 4 golf cart batteries, and start battery. I placed this under the nav seat and further aft, in hind sight may have put this starboard, to help with the list to port. I have put new plumbing in, using red and blue Pex pipe this worked well with good flexibility.
I need to replace the port lights , and plan to use Bomar’s extruded 2000 series part # N2515. I think the Bomar’s may be what Tartan used on this boat, no marks or documentation to know for sure. I think they will work with the thin cabin top. I plan to also install a below deck auto pilot, water maker and solar panels, to name a few.
Contact us at jeff.scott@tn.gov & 931-982-0845
jeff

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: New member
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2015 16:02 
Skipper

Hi RM,

You might consider the NewFound Metal port lights instead of the Bomars. They are hands down the best upgrade we have made to the boat. They look fantastic, have awesome build quality, stainless dogs and hinges, and have tempered glass instead of acrylic. I've gone all stainless on Betty Lou, replacing the OEM hatches and teak handrails, and the NFM ports look great with them.

JK

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2015 06:16 
Skipper

Jeff,
Welcome to the Forum.....
I second what Jay said about the stainless portlights instead of the Beckson/Bomars. They probably were Becksons by the way. The NFM ports are probably the best designed because they through bolt together. I used the Hood brand (great by the way) but they don't through bolt together, they use heavy screws that screw into the core and rely on adhesive/sealant. They both need the cabin thickness enhanced.
Our old girls need a little primping at this stage in life and deserve to be spoiled a bit Cheers
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 May 2015 11:29 
Rail Meat

JR & Tom,
I agree that the Newfoundmetals are a nice retro, but Tartan used a larger port on this one, and at several ports there is not vertical room between the ceiling and lower trim for the NFM's, that would be needed to fill the cutout openings. I have seen on line (Betty Lou) some of the installations and they look great, on top of that the glass would have given the option of glue on shade and heat reflection.
Always a compormise
Jeff

Profile Email