Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Headliner

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 03:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Headliner
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2007 18:42 
Skipper

Curious if any of you have replaced the headliner and what you used. I saw somewhere a guy who used bead board. Home Depot has some that is not wood, synthetic something, I was thinking this might look real nice? Comments, Suggestions? Any thing I should know before I tackle this project.

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Headliner
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2007 07:15 
Skipper

Yes, I used agreat product that is inexpensive, easy to work with and is impervious to rot. It is a PVC product from Harbour Sales in Baltimore, comes in 4 x 8 sheets various thicknesses including 1/8" and multiple colors are available. There are two products one is solid pvc sheeting, Komocel, and the other is a closed cell, Komotex.
here are the links:
http://www.harborsales.net/fullsheetloo ... c%20Sheets

http://www.harborsales.net/fullsheetloo ... c%20Sheets

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2007 23:51 
Skipper

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll check em out!

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2007 09:01 
Midshipman

I was just on a catamaran (shudder!) that had a great headliner. It is not the original. It is a padded, vinyl-like material glued to thin panels. The panels are then attached with velcro. They have never fallen down, but are easy to remove to get at wiring, etc.

The part I liked best was that this approach opens up all kinds of options for materials.

The worst part of the Tartan 37 headliner is that the panels are held up with screws, and some of the wood blocks are split or missing with lost screws, and there are NAILS cleverly hidden in places where they can't be removed. I removed the headliner over the pilot berth as it was very water damaged from a leaking stanchion. All I could do was totlally destroy the headliner in the process. I still have a bare spot there waiting for a clever idea. Well I think I now have the approach to refinish this spot.

Where there are multiple panels butted together, such as the main saloon, the join was hidden by a strip of material glued inplace before the panels were installed. A small gap (1/4") is deliberately left between panels. This makes fitting panels much easier and the appearance is good.

Hope this helps,

Jammin'

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2007 13:20 
Able Bodied Seaman

Some years ago, I replaced two water damaged panels near the companionway. I duplicated what I found on our 1982 model T-37, an 1/8" or 3/16" masonite that I covered with a white, textured vinyl wallpaper. This winter, after trying a number of wallpaper stores with no success, I replaced another two panels-again, I used the masonite and this time I glued a heavier duty white vinyl headliner material that I found in a fabric store. By the way, the material from the fabric store was much less expensive than what I found at several "marine" outlets.

The texture is just slightly different; but, not noticeable after installed in the boat in normal lighting conditions

Good luck.

Tartan37403

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2007 13:20 
Able Bodied Seaman

Some years ago, I replaced two water damaged panels near the companionway. I duplicated what I found on our 1982 model T-37, an 1/8" or 3/16" masonite that I covered with a white, textured vinyl wallpaper. This winter, after trying a number of wallpaper stores with no success, I replaced another two panels-again, I used the masonite and this time I glued a heavier duty white vinyl headliner material that I found in a fabric store. By the way, the material from the fabric store was much less expensive than what I found at several "marine" outlets.

The texture is just slightly different; but, not noticeable after installed in the boat in normal lighting conditions

Good luck.

Tartan37403

Profile Email