Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - generators

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 03:40

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: generators
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2007 07:11 
Skipper

Has anyone out there thought about installing a generator? I have been toying with the idea, but don't like the thought of the noise, expense, space requirements etc.... I thought that the Honda 1000 or 2000 watt might be a good alternative. They're quiet and compact, but not powerful, marine and gas......
I have a wind generator(ampair 100) and thinking about solar, but would like a reliable source for emergancy charging.
Our Tartans only have so much space so the decision is a tough one. Any suggestions?
Tom

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: generators
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2007 18:11 
Able Bodied Seaman

Dear Tom,
I have decided the Honda EU2000i is for me. I used a EU1000i for a while but it would not power my 1500 watt inverter/charger in charge mode of 75 amps DC, it almost does it, but not quite. I have not tried the 2000i yet but I think it will do the trick. The RV sites that cater to modest campers and trailers rave about the EU2000i and the power standard they use is a 5000 BTU air conditioner, it seems the 2000i will run up to 5000 BTUs. A few years ago I contemplated refrigeration for my T37, and for me, at the time, I settled on a holding plate system with a 1/4 hp DC hermetic compressor called a Colda Italia. I got the parts on line from Rparts and built it in my shop, had a HVAC tech check it over, and after a few hours of running, I took it apart and installed it in Windfall. It worked well for a couple of summers until the compressor stopped. I found that Rparts no longer supported the unit nor did I look to replace it after I cut it open and saw what made it tick. That compressor had 950BTU capacity of cooling at 20F evaporator, the largest 12V Danforth compressor, at the time, had a capacity of about 1/3 that so it would not function with the holding plate system installed. I found a commercial grade Alternating Current, AC, compressor with 950 BTU that would be a perfect match for my installed components so I bought that and it has been running ever since. So that is how I came to have that size inverter aboard. I am commited to AC now and I use it for cabin lights and TV, heat gun and soldering iron etc, the EU 1000i is just a little underpowered for the battery charger I have, but for you, it may be just right. I justify the problem of gasoline on board by comparing the weight of a couple of gallons of gas at 14 pounds and 30 pounds for the generator, that can produce about 10,000 watts any time day or night wind or not, against one 130 amp battery at 60 pounds and about 700 watts (50% discharge). Not to mention I have gasoline on board for the dinghy outboard.
As we discuss these topics I think we will find that each of us comes to fit out their boat differently and I want to be up front, while I have tried lots of different remedies or additions, and even if they work for me, I will say, I often take a road less traveled.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2007 06:46 
Skipper

Thanks Sam, Your experience with the Honda 1000 is similar to opinions that I read on the SSCA forum, they also support the 2000 model. I have the dink on davits when cruising around the bay and I often will keep the gas in that while under way. If I have to have the dink on the fordeck, I'll strap the gas cans to the stern rail resting on the teak cap plate, where fumes would fall off the stern (ideally). My philosophy has always been redundancy and overkill. I plan on having multiple sources for electricity even though my electrical draw isn't all that tremendous at the moment.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2007 13:35 
Able Bodied Seaman

We do not have a generator; but, in the winter of 2002 we wintered on our boat in Vero Beach Fl. In the under 40' sailboat crowd, the Honda 2k was the clear choice. The only people we talked to that had the Honda 1k had them for sale hoping to move up to the 2k.

To wring the most out of these generators, a number of folks had replaced their water heater elements with a lower wattage one so that they could run multiple loads on the little gen sets.

Just as we were about to order one, we heard how someone had managed to asphyxiate themselves when they went below for a nap while running a portable gen set.

Later, I learned someone had managed to use their stern boarding ladder in a horizontal position as a place to mount the gen set when using it. Sounds better than setting it on the side deck as we saw many do. But, I just couldn't sort out my safety concerns to my satisfaction. If anybody has ideas in this regard, would like to hear them.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2007 05:53 
Skipper

That's an interesting thought, having the gen set supported by the swim ladder. I suppose if you rig two lines suspending the ladder in a horizontal positioin and have a piece of plywood cut out to fit it for the generator, it could work. Of course, you would want to have a safety line tied to the generator, just in case.....
I thought about an arrangement in the dinghy the hangs on the davits, but the dink may act as a drum of sorts amplifying the vibrations.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2007 09:28 
Rail Meat

We used our Honda on our previous boat (Bristol) and also (on occassion) were subjected to too much carbon monoxide. We were using it on the stern. The reason was that the dodger was creating a vacuum when at anchor and facing into the wind. When we unzipped the front window of the dodger, the fumes/gas went off to stern as we had hoped. We also added carbon monoxide sensors in the main cabin. Love our Honda 2000i; had a 1000i to start with but sold it. Sure beats running the engine to charge batteries! Roger Rippy

Like propane, you need to be aware of risk and minimize them to an acceptable level; i.e. do not let your guard down and never ever assume.......

Profile Email