Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Again with heat....

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 25 Apr 2024 21:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Again with heat....
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2013 06:43 
Midshipman

Several of you posted heat options and the solutions you've chosen. I'm at that crossroads. I may be anywhere and am a Northern Ohio boy and don't mind the cold while I'm not fond of flying monsters that eat you. So heat is important to me, and I like drive you out the cabin heat. Having lived aboard since '09, yes, the floor is 40 degrees when the overhead is hot. I'm thinking a bulkhead mounted heater won't be effective in freezing temps.

Also moisture is a huge problem with heat. I've only used electric at the dock so far and it's terrible for condensation. Propane I guess also causes condensation. Diesel bulkhead mounts do eliminate the condensation but cold feet.

Forced air sounds great. It is the best for moisture I understand. But the ongoing maintenance sounds daunting. And the ductwork not easy.

On to hydronic. I've been looking hard at the Hurricane from ITR. Wow. Diesel fired boiler which has 6 ports of hot water. One to the engine which circulates through so you start easily and don't have to worry about winterization sitting at the dock in freezing temps. One to domestic hot water and 4 outlets for remote radiators to blow warm air. The warm water lines are run in the bilge which keep the sole warm and would be easy to run.

I've read they use very little electricity and fuel and cook you out. But they don't dry the boat like air heat and are really expensive. Anyone have a Hurricane?

The other option is a heat pump, but they are worthless for heat in the winter on the Chesapeake right?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Again with heat....
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2013 07:43 
Skipper

I had my first Wallas diesel heater 15 years ago in my T37. I would estimate I put 2000 or more hours on it. Not much, if any maintenance, the first 10 years, but it got sticky after that. I liked it enough to buy a new model that appears to have improved several issues. Fairly simple to install. Duct work is sensible and doable. Best investment in sailing comfort--extends the seasons in San Francisco Bay and in her new home here in Maine. But I even used the heater on our sail through Central America to dry out the boat. Cost is less than a new headsail. I will send pictures of my installation if you like.

Ray
Velera #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013 02:50 
Midshipman

I'm going nuts about this. Hot air sounds like the best answer for moisture for sure. I've been toying with the idea of a Dickinson but I have to lose cabin..pictures would be nice...thanks. And reliability with the air furnaces is what scared me from what I've read from some posts. Others say no problems...

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013 06:23 
Skipper

I installed a forced air central heat/AC unit and ran ductwork behind/under cabinets along the starboard side (earlier posts here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=874 )

I used a unit that is not a reverse cycle but has a resistance heating element which will heat the boat out of the water and just as important, heat the boat below the threshold at which a reverse cycle is no longer efficient. I have been pretty happy with the setup thus far although the noise of the blowing air can be loud. I think of it as "white noise"

Here's the unit: http://www.flagshipmarine.com/selfcontained.html
I went with the 16,500 BTU unit.

Watch out for propane heaters: they use a lot of fuel and give off moisture.
Diesel heaters need to exactly in tune or they spew black soot on your decks (Dickinson type, not Espar)

Good luck,
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013 13:20 
Skipper

I completed my Webasto 3900 AirTop EVO forced air furnace install earlier this year, and so far, am completely in love with it. I went down the same analysis road as you are on now, and ruled out a DIckinson style pot-burner because of the unsightly stovepipe stack and the space it would consume in the salon, and hydronic as too expensive both in dollars and in electrical load (pump, fans, burner ignition). I would have preferred a Wallas system, but got a screaming deal for the Webasto from a truck/RV company ($450 for the furnace).

I also have a Cozy Cabin bulkhead mounted propane heater, and what I've found so far this fall is that I can get the cabin up to 70 degrees quite quickly with the furnace, and then the propane heater maintains the temp and allows the furnace to shut off for longer periods of time.

The toughest part of the install was running the ductwork, but in the end it was easier than I thought it would be. I spent quite a bit more (over the $450 cost of the furnace) on parts for the ducting, exhaust, a SureWire controller and a stainless 6 gal. day tank, but the results are working great. You can't even hear the exhaust from 4 feet away from the thru-hull thanks to the stainless muffler I added to the exhaust.

I sized the furnace a bit smaller than recommended for our boats (the 3900 is a 12,000 BTU furnace) because I am supplementing it with the Cozy Cabin. In 5 overnight stays on the boat, with 38 - 45 degree outside temps, keeping the inside temp at 68 - 70 degrees, my day tank fuel gauge is still showing 3/4 full. I turn all the heat off when we hit the bunks for the night.

The only negative so far is the clicking of the metering pump, but I am going to remount the pump with a rubber mount to minimize even that small detraction. Time will tell if the maintenance is going to be an issue. With our usage pattern (one or two nights aboard each week, vs. live-aboard), Im hoping the furnace doesn't need much. Still, I plan on doing a full servicing every 200 hrs. The SureWire board adds an hour meter to the system. Luckily, we have an excellent service center in Seattle in Sure Marine. Their website, btw, is a great source of info/parts.

Here's links to my install photos, showing ducting routing and furnace install:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=858&p=4570&hilit=#p4570

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=895&p=4771&hilit=#p4771

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email