Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Lazy Jack experience

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 27 Apr 2024 21:03

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

What is your experience with Lazy jacks?
1. Never tried them. 33%  33%  [ 8 ]
2. Love them, would not leave port without them. 37%  37%  [ 9 ]
3. Wish I had never done it. More trouble than they are worth. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4. It's a mixed bag. 29%  29%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 24
 Post subject: Re: Lazy Jack experience
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2008 19:19 
Skipper

Solare,

Yes, I am pleased with the system. The main has partial battens. If I were to do it again I would have got the cockpit deployment option as I a am planning to run everything to the cockpit. I should say that my experience with other flaking sysytem is mimited to the Dutchmen or nothing at all. I have never sailed or owned a boat with lazt jacks or had the opportuntuty to use mast or boom furlers. I have heard several people comment on their disappoint ment with the Dutchman sysytem, primamrily the mainteience of them and the cost.

The EZ Jax as I understand it is basically the same as a lazy jax, but you can easily stow the ez jax

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2008 18:15 
Midshipman

Thanks Chef,

My only experience is either what we have now, nada, or a Lazy Jack system that didn't work on a fully battened main. My only concern is I'm a bit anal about properly flaking the main to keep it nice & smooth.

SOLARE #442

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2011 11:46 
Rail Meat

I made a low profile stack pack, and replaced my dacron lazy jacks with 7/64 amsteel. I love the convenience of the stack pack (even with standard battens) and the light weight, negligible windage, slippery lazy jacks. Also replaced my main halyard with amsteel blue. It's great stuff if you splice a cover on the tail.

S/V Dragonfly, T37 #249

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2012 22:07 
Able Bodied Seaman

I sailed my old boat a Freedom cat rig for 20 years and only sold her to devote my time to getting Solen our T37 ready for "slipping down the St. Lawrance" in a few years.

The Fully Battened main with lazy jacks and "Jiffy reefing" works like a charm and it is simple, inexpensive and durable. The lazy jacks I installed on the Tartan don't help a lot with partial battens, and I miss the weight of the battens which made dropping the sail easy and a one hand operation (from the cockpit).

I highly recommend Full Battens combined with with Lazy Jacks - my new/next main will be like that - I also liked the "jiffy" reefing but I fully expect that it is necessary to install hardware pulleys in the sail and on the boom to be able to accomplish an effective and expedient reefing without getting on the cabin top.

The chief virtue of a fully battened main is that you can stop the boat w/o leaving the cockpit. Bring it up in the wind, release and she stops. An additional HUGE benefit is the increased sail-life, no flogging = less wear.

Profile Email