Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Running On Empty second wave of upgrades

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 05:23

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Running On Empty second wave of upgrades
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2013 09:51 
Rail Meat

Hi All,
I am heading to FL around Halloween for the cruising season loaded with goodies for my girl and had a few questions. I am installing a Garmin GHP 12 below deck AP with the Garmin NMEA wireless transceiver for the Quatix watch. The watch seems pretty amazing-it acts as a MOB device and interfaces with the CP if you fall overboard, but the best part is I can avoid crab traps on the way to the Keys from the bow with full AP control- Pretty excited about that. Has anyone installed a belowdeck ap? Any advice would be appreciated.

I am also adding a Garmin 18" HD radar on a Scanstrut mast mount., I got some more safety gear, portable vhf, etc.

My questions are about standing and running rigging. I am cruising only, fully loaded, so looking for advice on lines-I don't see myself racing. The halyard that raises the Genoa is wire at the top with a splice to rope before the clutches-have any of you redone this differently? Raising the Genoa last year took an awful lot of effort for some reason...

When the mast is down I will inspect the sheaves at the top and address the dreaded chain plates...

Still contemplating solar or wind or both, but the budget may not be there this year. New batteries for an 800ah bank seem to be in the 500lb range-what do you think about such a point load under the quarterberth?

Lastly, does anyone know the size of the Nicco solar vents in the head-are the 3 or 4" holes?

Thank you,
Joe
currently very landlocked and missing the sea in Colorado

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Running On Empty second wave of upgrades
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2013 12:20 
Skipper

Sounds like some nice toys!
Personally, I don't think you'll need that large of a bank if you are adding solar. Save the weight and the expense every 5 - 8 years. My solar panels seem to keep up my batteries on a daily basis with the refrigeration running and my bank is only 4, 6 volt golf carts being charged by two Kyrocera 135 watt panels. With your added electrical needs, maybe add two more, but I wouldn't think you would need 800 amp/hrs............

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2013 15:56 
Skipper

I installed a Raymarine below decks autopilot many years and miles ago. I chose it because it interfaced with the rest of my instruments and because they had at the time the patent on the electric clutch so that you did not have to mechanically disengaged the thing. Has always worked well. Has steered welll in some long ocean passages and some nasty conditions where I did not want to be topsides. I used a short linear drive that installed transversely in the hull. There is just enough room.

I have no idea what you would be running that requires that much battery capacity. I have 440 ah of batteries stored there and it helps the boat list more to port when the fuel tank is full. I guess it depends on how you are going to use your boat, but when I was out cruising I found that my daily useage for refrigeration and the rest of my electrical needs was bout 125 ah a day with a very old AB reefer unit that did well in the tropics and is still in my boat. I motored enough most of the time (a couple hours a day) to avoid having to use any other charging mechanism--though I had a Yamaha 1000 at generator that drove my 40 ah shore charger occasionally in layovers in port. I also had a 65 watt solar panel that just took care of things when I went exploring inland. I had a smart charger regulator and a 105 ah alternator. Never had an issue. Battery capacity should be related to usage and your ability to replenish it. There is no standard I know of.

My view is that equipment needs should reflect how you realistically inend to use the boat. If you are really offshore and making time, you will be motoring more than you think. If you are going to be in the trades, well, that is different. If you see yourself hanging out in the same remote anchorage for months on end, that is different still. Each situation suggests different equipment needs. In my years out there, I found a lot of cruisers who overdid the equipment and capacity thereof so that they had full time jobs maintaining or fixing failed equipment they were not going to really use. A wind vane on a boat that is not going to the trades is an example. Not having a bimini cover if you are going to the tropics is an example of not thinking about your actual use. I had a full boat sun cover and it was a godsend in Central America, but would be ridiculous here in Maine where I live now.

FWIW'

Ray
Velera

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2013 09:52 
Rail Meat

Thanks for the replies guys. I did an energy audit and came up with high numbers, but based it on passagemaking under full electronics, lights, fridge, freezer, stereo, AP, etc. Good point on the motoring more than I think, and I am definitely going to add solar-have to find room for it in the budget somewhere. My big drain is the freezer that I got on Amazon, not sure how much energy it takes, but am considering isolating it on its own battery and solar panel, thereby moving some weight forward away from the quarterberth. Since I singlehand I placed the freezer adjacent to the mast on the starboard sofa and strap it in. I am looking at console tender dinghies and need to move as much weight forward as possible to minimize pulling a wheelie with a fat tender on the back!

Does anyone know what size the holes are for the solar vents in the head and salon area?

Thanks,
Joe
still landlocked, but getting closer...

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2013 12:25 
Skipper

Running on Empty wrote:
Does anyone know what size the holes are for the solar vents in the head and salon area?

The holes through the coach roof to the inside are 3", but the holes cut for the dorades on the outside are 4"....why the discrepancy is beyond me????

Profile Email