Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - WIFI - Repeater / Access Point added

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 19:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: WIFI - Repeater / Access Point added
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2013 11:24 
Skipper

We installed a Titanium bullet and Linksys wi-fi router on Betty Lou last week while visiting the Port of Ilwaco at the mouth of the Columbia River in Washington State. The Port is extremely well served with great free wi-fi, and in fact, our dock's hardware was mounted on a pole adjacent to our slip. Even so, before getting the bullet set up we got terrible bandwidth on devices from below deck. Web pages would take 30 seconds to fully load.

After installing the bullet and getting the linksys configured, we were able to watch 3 Netflix videos simultaneously (two iPads and a MacBook) in the salon. We monitored the connection as we left the harbor to sail out over the bar for the day, and had a usable connection from a mile away, and that was with the antenna mounted on the stern rail. It should be even better once I move the bullet up the mast.

Caveat: the system works great with external wi-fi sources, but not so well with sources inside of buildings. My home marina is 500 feet from the county court house, which has free wi-fi inside the building. I can connect, but signal levels are at around -79db and websites load slowly. Compare that to the signal strength of -34db that we were seeing in Ilwaco.

Tip: to keep hackers from trying to jack your wi-fi network, just name your network "FBI Surveillance Van 1".

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013 22:45 
Able Bodied Seaman

I get by with an Active (build in extension chip) USB extension Cable and a USB WiFi Adapter with a 10" whip.

It may be all you (we) need since we have no control of the signal quality in the other end.

Motion and rain are of course a problem - but at $60 total plus and old broom handle, it works on balance.

Solen

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2013 11:34 
Skipper

alpinista wrote:
Tip: to keep hackers from trying to jack your wi-fi network, just name your network "FBI Surveillance Van 1".

Brilliant. I think I'll go with "NSA Data Collection Hub"

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email