Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Furnace Install - Part 2

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 09:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Furnace Install - Part 2
PostPosted: 28 May 2013 20:06 
Skipper

Another weekend of Webasto Furnace installation fun. I decided to put the exhaust thru-hull on the starboard quarter instead of on the transom, because the access from the lazarette is much better. A misstep in the thru-hull install; I neglected to read instructions, and drilled the hole without the 1/8" air gap required or the high-temp bedding material. Had to take it apart, redrill the hole, clean everything up and try again.

I glassed in a marine plywood mounting bracket on the starboard hull to hang the furnace from that gives me a straight line hookup to the hot air ducting as it exits the galley aft bulkhead. I did the same to create a platform for the 6 gal. aluminum day tank. The day tank will fill from the main diesel tank via an electric fuel pump and a tee in the line between my primary fuel filter and the engine fuel pump (tee isolated with three valves), with an optional deck fill.

I purchased a Surewire board from Sure Marine in Seattle to simplify the wiring and gain a pump priming circuit and hour meter. This board completely replaces the wiring harness that comes with the furnace, and puts all connections to the metering pump, thermostat, and power supply together in one place. The board and the metering fuel pump mount to the bulkhead adjacent to the day tank and furnace. I placed the thermostat on the galley bulkhead next to the companionway. Probably not the ideal location, but keeps the wire run super short. BTW, Sure Marine has written their own installation manual for these furnaces, MUCH better than what comes from Webasto.

If you saw Part 1 of this saga, you'll remember that we got these Webasto 3900 AirTop EVO furnaces at the insanely low price of $450.00. The install kits, however, were for truck/RV. I've since spent another $1500.00 for ducting, thru-hull, flexible exhaust, insulation, stainless elbows, the SureWire board, the day tank and fuel gauge, and the thermostat. Still, I'll be a good $2000.00 below what the full marine install kit with the SureWire board lists online. I just happy I'm not paying for someone to do the install. Way more work than I had envisioned.

Next steps; complete the wiring, plumb the day tank copper to the pump and furnace, install the day tank vent loop and deck fill. Should be done in time for some hot summer days!

Attachment:
File comment: Furnace mounted to the new plywood bracket.

furnace_install_01.jpg

furnace_install_01.jpg [ 146.27 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Exhaust thru-hull

furnace_install_02.jpg

furnace_install_02.jpg [ 90.55 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Exhaust system. Fitting on bottom of stainless 90 is for condensation drain coil

furnace_install_03.jpg

furnace_install_03.jpg [ 170.12 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: 6 gal. day tank sitting on it's new platform prior to mounting.

furnace_install_04.jpg

furnace_install_04.jpg [ 177.65 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: SureWire board and metering pump, partially wired up

furnace_install_05.jpg

furnace_install_05.jpg [ 141.08 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Day Tank fuel gauge

furnace_install_06.jpg

furnace_install_06.jpg [ 147.64 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Digital Thermostat

furnace_install_07.jpg

furnace_install_07.jpg [ 122.72 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Furnace Install - Part 2
PostPosted: 29 May 2013 12:23 
Tactictian

I had one of these in my Tartan. Personally I hate them, they are noisy and on and off all the time but each to his own. What I can tell you is that they need a solid 12 volts to run (especially to start), so please make sure that you have good heavy gauge power supply and the shortest runs possible.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 May 2013 16:56 
Skipper

I've heard both complaints elsewhere, along with complaints of costly yearly maintenance to keep them running well. If there was a better alternative I would have gone there, even given the great price I got for the Webasto. Over the last few years I've looked at diesel pot-burners, solid fuel stoves, diesel ranges, hydronic systems and other forced air systems. I didn't want the exhaust stacks of the pot-burners or diesel ranges coming through my coach top, there is really no place to fit a solid-fuel stove, hydronic systems are to expensive, complex and electrically thirsty. I really liked the Wallas forced air systems, but the $450 price of the Webasto was $2k less than the smallest Wallas.

Hopefully, the mufflers I installed on both exhaust and combustion air will mute the noise. I used #10 primary wire direct from the house bank through a 15 amp in-line breaker, and my total run is about 15', so I think I'm beefy enough for the load.

As to the cycling on and off, the 3900 is rated at 12,000 BTU, and recommended for a 30' boat, so it is a bit undersized for our boats. On my typical winter weekend aboard the temps are in the low to mid thirties, and the two 1500 watt electrics plus the Cozy Cabin propane heater never cycle off (and the inside temps never get into the first mate's comfort zone). All that said, I'm hoping that the furnace will just purr along and not cycle too much. Or, when the furnace DOES cycle off, the Cozy Cabin will maintain the temperature for a while and limit the number of cycles.

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 May 2013 17:32 
Skipper

I recommend the Wallas 30 D. I have had one on my T37 for 15 years. Works great. Does not cycle on and off. Very little noise. Uses very small amounts of electricity and fuel. Support from the Seattle Distributor is fabulous. Extends my cruising time significantly and makes it all more comfortable. I will put the installation in the tech area if folks are interested. Cheaper than alternatives for outright purchase because everything is in one kit. Simple to install.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013 12:10 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hello Valera;
Well I'm interested about installing a Wallas 30t; if you have some pictures of your installation and some hints that would be absolutely appreciated !
Thanks all !

Hull #162
YCQ, Qu?bec City, QC, Canada

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2013 12:53 
Skipper

Well, we just had two weeks of below-freezing temps here in Portland, and I spent several nights aboard Betty Lou. Im happy to report that the Webasto has been performing flawlessly.

I got to the boat last weekend with the outside temperature hovering around 14 degrees. The little electric heater I keep running over the cold months (set on low to keep the temps just above freezing) had the salon temp at 34 degrees. I lit off the furnace and the Cozy Cabin propane wall heater, and it took a couple of hours to get the salon up to 70 degrees. Once up to temp, the furnace shut off and the Cozy Cabin was able to maintain the temp for a good couple of hours before the furnace cycled back on.

When I went to bed I turned off the Cozy Cabin heater and dialed the furnace down to 60 degrees. In the morning the salon temp was 59, with the outside temp at 11. I dialed the thermostat back up to 70, lit off the Cozy Cabin, and had the salon back up to 70 in 20 minutes.

The hour meter shows 40 hrs on the furnace so far this winter, and I've gone through 10 gallons of fuel, putting fuel consumption at .25 gal/hr, quite a bit above the .1 gal/hr advertised (but it's been really cold, so the furnace has been burning at full bore).

On a cruise the other day in more moderate temps (45 degrees) the furnace kept the cabin toasty even with the boards out and hatch slip back. Needless to say, the mate is happy about all this and will be much more willing t spend time aboard during the winter months.

The only complaint I have is that the metering pump can be heard clicking away in the lazaretto. I'm going to see if a quieter alternative is out there.

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email