Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - chainplate attachement on port side bulkhead

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 17:35

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: chainplate attachement on port side bulkhead
PostPosted: 27 May 2013 06:32 
Rail Meat

We've looked at 5 Tartan 37's, all 1979-80 in the last few months. Two of the boats have had the port side chainplate bolted through a trapezoidal shaped metal plate that is flush with the teak bulkhead. This arrangement doesn't seem to match the fit and finish of the tartan interior. Might this be some sort of repair or are there pieces of teak veneer and moulding missing ? Hoping someone on the board can shed some light on this. Thanks.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: chainplate attachement on port side bulkhead
PostPosted: 27 May 2013 12:02 
Skipper

My 1982 is not like that. The port chain plate is a complicated affair that has multiple attachments, some out of sight inside the cubby behind the seat. You need to remove some of the furniture in the head to see the other side of it. I think that might be a repair as I have been on a few T37s and not seen what you are describing. Unless by trapezoidal you mean the bracket that supports the aft lowers.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 May 2013 12:45 
Rail Meat

no, it's not a bracket. It is a rather large,flat metal plate that is flush with the bulkhead. I have never seen a bulkhead repair using metal, and since I have seen this on 2 tartans, I was thinking that some kind of teak veneer and moulding might have been removed and not replaced. There is a tartan 37 in NC on yachtworld that has this arrangement on the port salon bulkhead.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 May 2013 06:05 
Skipper

I believe if what you're talking about is just aft of the toilet, then you are missing some teak trim that covers that plate. Forward of the toilet, there is some exposed backing plates that are smaller and through bolted on the triangular bulkhead just outboard of the sink. I don't have a readily available picture that shows everything, but I have one that you can see the forward backing plate (there's also one on the opposite side). in this picture, just to the left of the toilet, you can barely make out the teak trim that would cover the aft backing plates that I believe is what you are referring to.
Attachment:
IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg [ 1.18 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 May 2013 16:47 
Rail Meat

Thanks for the details about the chainplate attachments in the head, I should have attached a picture with my initial post, that would have made things more clear Embarassed Here's a picture of what's going on with the port side bulkhead in the salon. Like I said in my first post, We have looked at quite a few Tartan 37's and only 2 have had this metal plate that the chainplates attach to. It isn't very esthetically pleasing and I'm wondering if the chainplates were pulled at one time and some teak panels/moulding were not put back in place. Any thoughts, or does this look familiar to anyone ?

Attachments:
4214111_20130221105639581_1_XLARGE.jpg
4214111_20130221105639581_1_XLARGE.jpg [ 14.97 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 May 2013 19:44 
Midshipman

Did you happen to look at a dark blue hull T37 in New Bern, NC? That looks very familiar. I continue to discover previous projects from the previous owners as I work on her. However, I don't know if this was one of those kinds of repairs. I can tell you mine has had it as long as I've owned her. The surveyor and craftsman I just had on her did not seem alarmed by it and referred to it only as a 'backing plate'.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 May 2013 05:49 
Skipper

Looks like a repair to me. I recall that the chainplate is actually secured through a beefy bulkhead structure behind the teak veneer, so I would guess this is a cosmetic fix for a situation where the structure was not necessarily compromised. You would need to remove the medicine cabinet on the other side of the bulkhead to see if there was a repair to the actual structural bulkhead. It is not a bad job, just remove a few screws and lift it out. Good time to tighten chain plate bolts.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 May 2013 06:03 
Skipper

mmmmmmm.............I don't know if this is a repair or not....????
On mine, there is a raised area here that is trimmed in teak(I've never needed to remove the teak), so it could be that this one is simply missing the teak trim like you said before. Here's a picture of mine clearly showing the raised area:

Attachment:
IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg [ 98 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2013 13:37 
Rail Meat

Thanks to all for the input. Tartan 37 has one of the best owners group out there !We have not looked at the Tartan in N.C., but I do see from the photo's on yachtworld that it has the same arrangement on the chainplate attachment. We are still looking for the right boat. Came really close this week, it was a real beauty. Unfortunately one fatal flaw, in our opinion, that broke the deal. Crying or Very sad

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2013 16:39 
Skipper

For the benefit of other potential sellers (and buyers), what was the flaw that turned you off?

Profile Email