Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Batteries? Where, what, why?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 08:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Batteries? Where, what, why?
PostPosted: 22 May 2013 13:59 
Skipper

Current set up is two GR31 AGM for the house, I am pretty sure I want to convert to 4ea 6V Wet Cell type batteries but I have some other options to consider.

The pricing on the Duracell/Deka/East Penn GC2 (215 amp/hr) sold at Sams Club is very attractive @ $85.00 The Duracell EGC2 (230 amp/hr) @ $110 per.

What about Trojan Batteries? The T-105 seems to run about $130-$140 from some sources online.

Are the Trojans really worth the extra $55 each?
4 ea Duracell GC2 (215 ah w/2) = $340
4 ea Duracell EGC2 (230 ah w/2) = $440
4 ea Trojan T-105 (225 ah w/2) = $560
$220+/- difference

I was comparing all the Trojan 6V for capacity vs cost. I've been using drawings to mock up various configurations based on different battery sizes then comparing weight and price. I have not figured cost per amp hrs yet.

I have two areas I am considering moving the house bank to, we'll call them Area 1 and Area 2, if I have done my homework correctly, below is what I came up with so far:

Area 1 is a under the salon settee, center of boat fore and aft but slightly to port. It measures L= 21" +/-, W= 14 +/-, H= 14.5"

This would provide easy access for Wet Cell Battery Maintenance and if I build my own box within the box, 4 each 6V T-105/GC2 would fit very nicely. The T-125 & 145 would also fit well. 450/480/520 amp hrs respectively. The T-105/GC2 or EGC2 would be the most cost effective I think? Easily replaced as well.

Area 2 is just aft of the engine, just forward of the water heater ( I increased the size of the platform the water heater sits on. The available space measures L= 17" +/-, W= 14", H= 29"

In this space I am considering either 6V Trojan J-305-AC or L16H-AC because they are tall and would fit the H easily, would be centerline, and combined have 360/435 Amp hr respectively. I would be able to raise/lower them with a halyard due to their weight. But they are pricey, about $350 each.

Another option for Area 2 is four each 12V Duracell Group 31 AGMs, two stacked and laying on their side. Cost is comparable to two of the J-305 or L16H wet cells and would provide similar amp hrs, Trojans J/L at 360/435 amp hrs vs. 420 amp/hrs for AGM Grp 31.

I am sure there are other options, like Lifeline or US Battery. I would prefer to put the bank in Area 2, otherwise its wasted space and its centerline. Moving the batteries to centerline should help with our 1 degree list to port

Where and what have you done?

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Batteries? Where, what, why?
PostPosted: 23 May 2013 05:58 
Skipper

Shawn,
Another option might be to separate them; two in one location and two in another. This way, you can distribute the weight a bit but the downside is the extra heavy wire that you would need. I used "Werker" brand from Batteries Plus and they seem to be holding up OK. I have 4 six volt, 215 amp/hrs each. I believe that the Trojan brand is regarded as the best wet cell 6v golf cart, but I agree about the price and that's why I went with Werker at around $90 ea.

I built two battery boxes that went below the quarter berth, pretty much where the original batteries were and a little aft as well. The downside is the extra weight concentrated on the port side which enhances the listing to port a bit. In the future, I may add two more 6v aft of the engine as well, but I will shift the water heater aft a bit so I do not interfere with the access to the stuffing box. I still keep a starting battery but I may eliminate it to save weight plus I truthfully haven't used it in many years.

I like your idea about the batteries under the port setee for quick access, but this is a little off center to port as well and may not help with the port list that much, maybe a little. The area aft of the engine may be the best for balancing the weight. Here's a link to "Windchime" ...they relocated the batteries aft.
http://windchimetimes.us/

Look under photos/boat projects

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 May 2013 12:44 
Skipper

Another option for repositioning the house bank from a fellow listee: under the pilot berth. He did a nice installation, but as I commented at the time, I'd hate to give up those storage lockers. Also, I recently installed a Webasto furnace, and ran the ducting through those the back of lockers. Also, it puts a lot of weight up too high, but it should eliminate that port list...

Here's the link to the post:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=90

JK

St. Helens, OR
Betty Lou's Blog

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 May 2013 17:13 
Skipper

I have 4 EGA Duracell 6 volt batteries under port quarter berth. As has been mentioned, it probably exacerbates the port list, but I don't fill the port water tank unless I am going for a long trip (as is recommended in the original owners' manual). I don't see a big problem with this configuration.

I have no idea why folks insist on paying exorbitant amounts on brand name and exotic batteries. I replace my battery bank every six or seven years but really never noticed a huge decline in performance. I run my bank as one to minimize the drain on the system. I have a high output alternator with a smart regulator and a 65w solar panel which does a nice job of keeping me in electricity to run my ancient AB refrigerator and under deck autopilot. I used this system for a two year cruise in Central America with no problems. I have a budget of about 100 ah per day. I recommend the EC2 Duracells as they have easier maintenance and more robust plates, but see no point in paying the premium for Rolls based on my experience.

Ray
Velera

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 May 2013 18:20 
Skipper

thanks folks for the ideas...after much deliberation I am going with two L16 (430 amp hr, 215 useable). They will fit nicely on the new platform I made. This will center the weight and because the new engine is lighter than the old W50, I am hoping they balance the boat out. I choose the Trojans primarily for their dimensions and capacity which was significantly more than any other L16 I researched.

I will try to remember to take photos.

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 May 2013 23:51 
Tactictian

Another option is under the sink. I got four Trojans there in two plastic boxes. The only disadvantage was checking electrolyte levels, but I made a syringe with a stop for the right level and added too much and then withdrew excess. The advantages were getting weight on the starboard side, and short cable runs to minimise voltage drops. Also kind of dead space there.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 May 2013 15:21 
Rail Meat

I have been looking at using 8 T105 RE in the original port side quarter berth location. It seems to me that locating them in the engine bay would be hot and from what I read heat is the enemy...I plan on installing passive and active ventilation with a computer fan and some circular vents underneath the nav seat.

I have high energy demands due to a large freezer I got on Amazon, but figured it is worth it to take all the food I can to the Bahamas and ultimately save money. I am a little hesitant to add 496 lbs to one side of the boat though! It seems like everything I do adds weight.

The Trojans just had a price increase and the cheapest I can find them is $159, not sure about shipping costs.

Joe
SV Running On Empty
Currently landlocked in Colorado building up the kitty

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 May 2013 16:26 
Tactictian

That is a great locker to lose to batteries, specially if you make a flat floor for it. And you will exacerbate the port list.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2013 07:30 
Grinder

Batteries (4 trojan T105s and 1 GP27start) on Abraxas are located under the qberth extending almost into the compartment under the nav seat. Over the top of the batteries is a panel to create a storage space, I've got my tools in there. As you might see it is a big deal to check and replenish fluid levels, so I went to a RV store an bought a remote watering system with the fill end just under the nav seat. I can not fill all the batteries at once from there and do not have to open up the locker under the Qberth.

T37 #31
Abraxas

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2013 22:19 
Skipper

What sort of monitoring/filling system did you buy? Can you supply a pic?

Profile Email