Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - New instrument package.

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 18 Apr 2024 17:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New instrument package.
PostPosted: 19 May 2013 19:54 
Skipper

Just ordered the last bits for upgrade.

Old: Datamarine Speedo, Depth, and anemometer and the Autohelm wheel pilot talking to a netbook since LORAN was killed prematurely in 2009. SDW predated NMEA so they didn't talk at all.

New:
- B&G SDW package which comes with one T41 multifunction display, Speed/Depth/Temp transducer, masthead wind transducer, NMEA backbone starter kit.
- Spare T41 display
- Lowrence NMEA GPS
- Actisense USB modules for 0183 and 2000 (No combo unit yet so had to get both)
- Tiny TP-LINK wireless accesspoint.
- ASUS 10.1" tablet

So now the whole boat will talk to the netbook running OpenCPN nav software. That will feed NMEA 0183 to the autohelm until it gets upgraded.
The tiny access point will allow a wireless network so the tablet can teamview to the netbook so I can see the nav software topside. Also the netbook will be sending all NMEA 2k data to the wireless network so the tablet can also run an app that taps in and shows basics. So, for instance, I can have a 10" depth display anywhere I want it.

I still have to decide between a third T41 or a dedicated Wind instrument with a real needle. We'll sail the T41 wind readout for a bit to decide. Not sure I can give up the needle for that one.

Either way, the whole package sings to my inner geek and I'll come in under $3k without the tablet.

You may ask why 2 T41's aren't enough... we have three holes to fill and no suitable way to do it short of sticking another display in each. They are on either side of the companionway and my glassing/gelcoating skills aren't up to such a task.
(You can see STBD datamarine here. Two on port side.)
(Super small AP for wireless... doubles as bridge in port so weak WiFi from shore can be boosted for all devices on board)
T41

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: New instrument package.
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2015 06:51 
Skipper

I know this is an older thread, but with the new instruments having Bluetooth and some with Wi-Fi, how do you think you would go if you were to set up a network using today's technology? I am thinking of getting a tablet for some navigation apps but mainly as a convenience factor. I would still want a multi-functional for the primary..........Thoughts?

By the way (and I've posted this before) here's what I did with those instruments on either side of the companionway:
Attachment:
Portlight,Spinnaker.jpg

Portlight,Spinnaker.jpg [ 1.4 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG [ 3.44 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

With two portlights aft like this, it really adds a lot of light and some more ventilation, and there's never enough ventilation here on the Chesapeake Cheers

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015 08:39 
Skipper

I still have most of the instruments from the previous owner and no auto pilot. So, integrating all together will come later. However, I am using a Google Nexus 7" tablet with Navionics for my primary GPS and chart plotter currently. It sits in a bracket I bought for it on top of my binnacle and I also have a 12V plug in there. I have a water proof sleeve, but I have never used it, and the tablet is still kicking after a year and a half (and we don't have a dodger...yet). Not saying it's the best solution, but it works, and it is a relatively cheap set up.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015 06:21 
Skipper

For anything else on the boat that has WiFi, you probably don't need a separate router. Any tablet will be able to form a network for the other items to jump on as long as those other items don't need to talk when the tablet isn't up.

The tablet alone is probably an okay backup, but you'll find that the nav packages are not free and not great. OpenCPN will run on an android tablet if you root the thing and get really geeky with it, but most regular apps for Android or iOS don't do a lot and only take RNC charts. Also you're relying on that little GPS chip in the tablet. So nice as a self contained backup and portable chart display at the helm.

I'm chartering for a day in San Diego and loaded my cheap ASUS Android 10" tablet with the free RNC charts and a a simple nav app that will let me see where I am and the basics (course, speed, distance). Pay apps will give you basic routing. I'm not seeing a lot of instruments that talk wireless except the wireless transducers that only talk to their repeaters. Not much of a bonus there. Not sure how you'd get any NMEA2000 info out to the network or what app would do much with it. (There is an app for NMEA data display that I've used, but OpenCPN is the one sending it out to the wifi. I don't see any stand alone devices for that and I'm sure they'd charge $400 for it if it existed.)

I would imagine that by now the big expensive plotters probably have wifi and a parter app for phones and tablets. If they don't, they're behind the curve. Hard to find a TV or toaster these days that doesn't have an app. But I can buy six netbooks for the price of one of those plotters so if I ever go voyaging, I can bring plenty of of backup for my rig. So I consider my geek system to be pretty reliable and much more functional and cheap than other options. Not that I'd advocate for non-geeks to rig such a thing.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2015 06:27 
Skipper

By the way... nice solution with the port lights!
And to complete the thread I went with all three T41's. Nice tech... love them. Dim one and they all dim and I can display any info anywhere. So nice. I have everything but piloting info since I'm still on my old NMEA 0183 autohelm.

Profile Email